Lacking Color [Deep Sky] Processing techniques · schmaks · ... · 4 · 192 · 0

schmaks 0.00
Hi there,

While I am liking where my latest image (Andromeda) is headed, it’s dull in color.

Is this a result of using a DSLR, not utilizing narrowband imaging/filters, my processing (in APP and Photoshop), a combo of all of these, or something else.

I know I can add color in various ways within photoshop but am not sure that’s the proper approach.

I would love get bring more color/vibrancy to my images.

Thanks for your insight!
schmaks 0.00
Or perhaps I just need more integration time to pull out the color?
ODRedwine 1.51
Fist, I think I would cut the exposure time to 30s, at 60 s the stars show drift.  The drift reduces the resolution and color fidelity  of the galaxy.

Try using individual RGB curves to increase color and contrast.   Pin the black level by placing a point at the lower left,  and put a point somewhere to the right of the middle to protect highlights, then raise each color curve in the middle just a bit.  Apply and repeat  until you get the colors up, or the noise gets too noticeable.

CS
Edited ...
schmaks 0.00
Thanks, David!

This is useful information! I’ll try cutting it down to 30s exposures until I upgrade to a guiding system.

I’ll also work with curves To boost the color.
schmaks 0.00
Thanks again, David! I was able to get the image to a point where I am happy with the coloring (see the latest).

I do want to look into shorter exposures until I upgrade to a guided system—then eventually narrowband imaging.

Onward, upward, and CS!

Register or login to create to post a reply.