Dew shield HyperStar Lens Astrophotography · Elmiko · ... · 7 · 166 · 0

Elmiko 9.53
I have a question for all of you Hyperstar imagers. I noticed that my Celestron Dew Shield is not perfectly round when it is on the end of my C8. Will this effect the roundness of my stars?
   Thanks, Mike
Edited ...
Damien.Cannane 10.84
·  1 like
I have Astrozap's aluminum dew shield, and I really like that a lot. I'm rarely up at dawn, so I don't how I'd take flats without it.
tim@the-hutchison-family.net 12.30
·  1 like
Hi Mike:

It's unlikely unless it is REALLY out.  However, I can highly recommend this: Astrozap Aluminum Dew Shield.  I have it on my Edge HD 8 and it is great.

Tim.
rveregin 6.65
·  1 like
Anything impinging on the light path can cause diffraction effects, leading to odd stars or spikes. But first you will notice vignetting.. I do flats first without the dew shield and then with it. The two set of flats should be identical, and when applied to your image taken with the dew shield should look the same. If that is good, you should have no issue, as the shield is not in your light path. In theory, you can tolerate some vignetting, and just use the appropriate flat with the same configuration, but better safe than sorry. The other option is just to some simple trigonmetry--take 1/2 your max FOV for your setup and camera frame size, and calculate for the length of the shield what your dewshield radius must be as a minimum at the open end. This makes sure you are out of the lightpath, and it doesn't matter if it is not round, just that it flares out enough at the minimum radius. If your dewshield is not flared out with hyperstar, you likely have some vignetting, even if it is round.
Rick
Elmiko 9.53
Damien Cannane:
I have Astrozap's aluminum dew shield, and I really like that a lot. I'm rarely up at dawn, so I don't how I'd take flats without it.
thanks  Damien
Elmiko 9.53
Tim Hutchison:
Hi Mike:It's unlikely unless it is REALLY out.  However, I can highly recommend this: Astrozap Aluminum Dew Shield.  I have it on my Edge HD 8 and it is great.

Tim.
Thanks Tim, I will check it out.
Elmiko 9.53
Anything impinging on the light path can cause diffraction effects, leading to odd stars or spikes. But first you will notice vignetting.. I do flats first without the dew shield and then with it. The two set of flats should be identical, and when applied to your image taken with the dew shield should look the same. If that is good, you should have no issue, as the shield is not in your light path. In theory, you can tolerate some vignetting, and just use the appropriate flat with the same configuration, but better safe than sorry. The other option is just to some simple trigonmetry--take 1/2 your max FOV for your setup and camera frame size, and calculate for the length of the shield what your dewshield radius must be as a minimum at the open end. This makes sure you are out of the lightpath, and it doesn't matter if it is not round, just that it flares out enough at the minimum radius. If your dewshield is not flared out with hyperstar, you likely have some vignetting, even if it is round.Rick
Thanks so much for your detailed explanation  Rick!
MikeF29 11.33
·  1 like
I use the flexible dew shield also, particularly to do my flats and have noticed nothing.

Register or login to create to post a reply.