Did anybody receive the email about the image recovery on AstroBin? Anything goes · Salvatore Iovene · ... · 29 · 471 · 1

dswtan 1.81
Salvatore Iovene:
But the implication I still get from the video is that self-recovered images will be OVERWRITTEN if I hit Recover in the recovery process

This is incorrect. The video states quite clearly that the self-recovered images are exactly the same as the images that were never lost in the first place, so AstroBin did nothing to them, to begin with.

The thing is... AstroBin has already performed all the actual file operations, when you click "Recover all" you just set a database flag that confirms it, nothing more.

If in your list of recovered images you see some images that you think you already recovered manually, it's because you missed some revisions and left them there hanging.

It's NEVER dangerous to click recover all.

Thanks for the quick response. Here is my confusion, sharing in case others hit this:

- Two of my images in the Recovery interface have these attributes:
image.png

- Both of these images are currently showing in my public Astrobin "slots" (to use the video's terminology, i.e. https://astrob.in/8wvp7w/E/ and https://astrob.in/401500/B/).

- Both of these images ALSO appear in the Recovery Interface. They look the same as the ones in the public slots, in appearance of the subject shown, color saturation, etc. Perhaps notably, both are revisions, and only single revisions are present (E and B).

- The Recovery interface implies these were lost (i.e. corrupted) images. My recollection is I self-recovered ALL my images that were in the Public area, so these two images I currently see in the public Astrobin slot are the ones I self-recovered.

- Are you saying that I am mistaken (and I may be!) that I never self-recovered those two images, and that what is shown in the public Astrobin slot is what the Recovery process is also now showing -- so just confirm them?
dswtan 1.81
Salvatore Iovene:

Thank you -- I see them now. I was looking at the bottom of the recovered image list.
Edited ...
siovene
·  1 like
Perhaps notably, both are revisions, and only single revisions are present (E and B).

That's right, that's very notable. For technical reasons, revisions are quietely reinstated anyway.

Basically, images are shown conditionally in your gallery with a logic similar to this:
  • It's not corrupted or has a non-corrupted final revision

The list of recovered images follows a similar logic:
  • It's corrupted and recovered
  • Then show all revisions, whatever their state

However, it would've been too complicated (not to implement, but to understand for the user) to also orchestrate the recovery page so that it shows recovered/corrupted revisions of non corrupted images... I mean it's already a mess.
- Are you saying that I am mistaken (and I may be!) that I never self-recovered those two images, and that what is shown in the public Astrobin slot is what the Recovery process is also now showing – so just confirm them?

Yes, those revisions could not have been recovered automatically if you recovered them manually because AstroBin wouldn't have thought they were corrupted in the first place. The recovery mechanism purposedly ignored the "corrupted" flag in the database and checked them all from scratch.

Go ahead and recover all: nothing will be overwritten, and worst-case scenario you have some duplicated revisions to delete (unlikely). I can also undo the recovery at any time by simply marking them as corrupted again AstroBin has already done everything, you clicking on Recover All just flips a switch. It's to give the users some control and not get any backlash
dswtan 1.81
·  1 like
Salvatore Iovene:
Go ahead and recover all: nothing will be overwritten, and worst-case scenario you have some duplicated revisions to delete (unlikely). I can also undo the recovery at any time by simply marking them as corrupted again AstroBin has already done everything, you clicking on Recover All just flips a switch. It's to give the users some control and not get any backlash

Great - thanks for the additional clarification, and this special effort on the recovery!
kajouman 2.81
·  1 like
it did worked for me,i have all my pictures back,im so happy...grazie !!!!! 

Register or login to create to post a reply.