Monitor question [Deep Sky] Processing techniques · Ralph Wilhelm · ... · 7 · 247 · 0

chlopak 0.00
Hi,

which monitor are you using for your astronomical picture processing? Can you recommend any specific model?

Regards
Ralph
H.Alfa 11.36
I use a Benq PD2700U. Is 4K, 27" IPS and for my taste, it has correct color representation. For the price, I think is a good option.
If budget is not an issue, you may want to look at Eizo monitors.
dmsummers 6.80
·  2 likes
It might not matter much which monitor you have if you calibrate that monitor.   At least Windows has a color calibration function, and that can get you close if you work it a bit.   If you really want to be precise, there are color calibrators (camera based) that you drape on your monitor, with their own software, to calibrate one or more monitors.   You can find these on Amazon or other photo shops.    I'd advise trying to calibrate before forking out $$ for a new monitor.
H.Alfa 11.36
I agree that to calibrate the monitor is key, specially if the images produced are going to be shared, but I don't agree that any monitor is suitable for image processing (talking specifically about astrophotography). Wide viewing angle, for example is a must, in my opinion, and high resolution combined with big display allows to avoid busy workspaces (specially useful if processing with PixInsight).
dmsummers 6.80
I find having a 2nd monitor attached helps with the PI busy workspace (for things like deconvolution star selection to obtain PSF image, etc.).
jklovelacephotography 1.51
Hi @chlopak ,

Before I upgraded to a Dell P4317Q, I was using two LG 27UD68-W's. The point is you'll want a lot of space, so go for a wide monitor, many monitors, or even a large TV. At home I use a wide screen TV that I got off of Craigslist (can't remember make/model right now) for my computer monitor. For calibrating my monitor(s) I use a DataColor SpyderX Pro.

Hope this helps,

-Jeff
Andys_Astropix 10.26
A properly calibrated Eizo monitor is the best option - they're not cheap but nothing in this hobby is!
Andreotto 0.00
Eizo color graphic

Register or login to create to post a reply.