Quick Poll on 8" Scopes Generic equipment discussions · astropical · ... · 9 · 292 · 0

astropical
Hello Buddies,

The small number of new image uploads indicates that we are all experiencing bad weather.
A chance for a quick poll. In your view which is the superior choice for mainly lunar photography with an ASI290MM?

1. Celestron C8 (8" F10 SCT)
2. Vixen VC200L (8" F9 VISAC)
3. GSO 200RC (8" F8 Ritchey Chrétien)

4. Alternative?

I have made myself familiar with the mechanical specifications including central obstructions.
Since we cannot "try before buy" online, I am inviting very brief views of users of one or more of these scopes
mainly with respect to optical quality.

Your simple vote, 1., 2. or 3. would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Cheers
Robert
mxpwr 4.37
andreatax 7.42
·  1 like

Alternatives: Long Newton
markplym 0.00
Staring 4.40
I cannot compare between 1 and 2, but I would not recommend 3 for planetary. Best I tried was a newton, though. If you have the space, I would recommend that. Cheaper, too.
akulapanam 0.00
Yeah 3 is out for planetary.  Really 1 or alternatively a Mewlon 180/210 or skywatcher mak.

If you really want a Vixen you need the VMC200 for planets
Edited ...
Jeff_Ross 0.00
DarkStar 18.84
·  1 like
1. is the clear fav.
3. no-go due to obstruction -> low contrast
Edited ...
MikeF29 11.33
·  2 likes
1.  Very easy to use and very easy to collimate.  I had an RC, it was very difficult to collimate.  No experience with the Vixen VC.  However, I do have a Vixen R200SS(200mm objective) which is a fine Newtonian.
tim@the-hutchison-family.net 12.30
·  2 likes
I have a Celestron Edge HD 8 and I think it is a pretty nice scope for the money. I purchased the GSO 8" RC and I ended up returning it. My main issue is that the rear mirror is connected to the rear cell and the weight of the optical train causes the whole thing to flex. It was crazy difficult to collimate because of that and it didn't track very well because of the flexture. It's a shame because I REALLY wanted that scope to work. If you're really looking for an RC, better to go with the larger ones that have a better rear cell design.

Hope that helps!

Register or login to create to post a reply.