Stable tripod for a Star Adventurer Generic equipment discussions · Spooky · ... · 22 · 619 · 7

Spooky 0.00
Can someone recommend a stable tripod for a Skywatcher Star Adventurer?

Thanks!

Clear skies
Spooky
Starstarter86 1.51
·  5 likes
Hi Spooky,

Well, the problem is that there are few really stable tripods with an 3/4" Screw which is needed as an adaption for the SA. What I did was that I took a eq5-type tripod and fashioned a wooden adapter plate, complete with proper Spirit level:

DSC_0947.jpg
you could use this one, which is similar to mine. But if you don't intend to overload the SA like me, the Skywatcher tripod might be stable enough.
_Frank_ 3.91
·  3 likes
Hi Spooky,

I'm using a Berlebach Report 212 together with the SA and I'm very happy with that combination. The tripod is very lightweight and extremely stable with the SA.

KR
Frank
redbeard 0.90
·  3 likes
Hi Spook,

In any case dont buy the Skywatcher star adventurer tripod.. the price may be attractive but its not worth the money.
Mine is very loose on all legs and it is not really portable.

Not really advice but its something to keep in mind.
Good luck on the search!

kr redbeard
Euripides 1.91
·  4 likes
I've bought an old second hand EQ2 tripod (if I recall 20-30e?) and attached the SkyWatcher extention tube. I'm really satisfied with this combo.

IMG_8249.JPG
Edited ...
dbarnett30 1.20
·  4 likes
20201107_173443.jpgI would recommend just a professional camera tripod. They are pricey but really stable and portable/ you can use for normal photography!
Edited ...
astropical
·  1 like
Hello Spooky, the Vixen SXG-AL130 is lightweight and sturdy. Its bolt can be replaced with a 3/8 screw. In my opinion, the weakest part of the setup is the wedge.
Cheers
Robert
astropical
·  1 like
Hello Donnie,
@Donnie Barnett: Saw your setup, wow, I still have a C90 exactly as yours, but I never thought of saddling it on a mobile mount for AP, not only because of the small aperture, moreover because of focusing. Thanks a lot for the inspiration :-)
Cheers
Robert
Edited ...
lazysniper 0.00
·  1 like
I am using Sirui EN-2004 Tripod with my SA, which has pretty good payload limit. I have heard Radian Telescope Tripods are good as well as Skywatcher 1.25" ones are pretty sturdy.
HMRphoto 1.43
·  3 likes
I have Gitzo and Really Rite Stuff carbon fiber tripods that I am really happy with. Sturdy and light weight.

image.png
dbarnett30 1.20
·  1 like
Hello Donnie,
@Donnie Barnett: Saw your setup, wow, I still have a C90 exactly as yours, but I never thought of saddling it on a mobile mount for AP, not only because of the small aperture, moreover because of focusing. Thanks a lot for the inspiration :-)
Cheers
Robert

Glad I could help. It works pretty well, still working on the kinks. Wouldnt recommend the dew heater, and instead just put a dew shield up as the c90 take in a LOT of stray light. Also use sharp cap to polar align before you autoguide... and you can get easily 4,5min exposures... probably more on some lucky nights.
astropical
Donnie Barnett:
Hello Donnie,
Cheers
Robert

Glad I could help. It works pretty well, still working on the kinks. Wouldnt recommend the dew heater, and instead just put a dew shield up as the c90 take in a LOT of stray light. Also use sharp cap to polar align before you autoguide... and you can get easily 4,5min exposures... probably more on some lucky nights.

Dew shield and PA - are remembered 👍
Lamomiaazteca 0.00
·  1 like
This is what I use.  I think it's pretty stable.

https://www.amazon.com/INNOREL-Professional-Top-Level-Birdwatching-88pounds/dp/B07J3BCFQ9/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=carbon+fiber+tripod&qid=1607813090&refinements=p_89%3AINNOREL&rnid=2528832011&s=electronics&sr=1-7
justins.ap 1.20
Donnie Barnett:
20201107_173443.jpgI would recommend just a professional camera tripod. They are pricey but really stable and portable/ you can use for normal photography!

@Donnie Barnett
I know this is a bit off topic here, but I noticed that you have your guide scope and camera mounted to the counter bar. I have the Sky Watcher Star Adventurer and I’m getting ready to get it setup with auto guiding. What adapter/part are you using to mount it that way? Thanks in advance! And by the way, nice setup!
lowry_pt 0.00
·  1 like
there is an adapter for the SA to the eq5/6 tripods.  OR...  get some weight bags ( camera) and put in a couple bricks with D rings and attach to your tripod.  it just needs weight. These options worked well for me. I always weigh down my tripod. can use your camera bag too.
justins.ap 1.20
@Donnie Barnett
oh, I’m sorry, I made a typo. I was referring to mounting the guide scope to the counter weight bar
dbarnett30 1.20
Ozzi,

I had pieced together some random parts but really you just need to see if the counterweight bar has a female end, and get a 'panning base' to put there and your guidescope should attach to it.
justins.ap 1.20
Donnie Barnett:
Ozzi,

I had pieced together some random parts but really you just need to see if the counterweight bar has a female end, and get a 'panning base' to put there and your guidescope should attach to it.

Oh, ok. That makes sense. Thanks! The Star Adventurer counter weight bar does have a female end. I think it’s a m8 but, I’m not sure. Thanks again!
micz1de 0.00
·  2 likes
Hi!

I also use a cheap EQ2 tripod. Stable anough for the Star Adventurer:

6282-da328a20-large.jpg
Snjór 11.96
·  2 likes
Frank Breslawski:
Hi Spooky,

I'm using a Berlebach Report 212 together with the SA and I'm very happy with that combination. The tripod is very lightweight and extremely stable with the SA.

KR
Frank

I agree with Frank, this really nice one and bonus eco friendly!

Best wishes,
Sigga
Edited ...
BjoernH 3.34
·  2 likes
I have many sturdy tripods for landscape photography, but nothing beats my Berlebach wooden tripod (which I only use at night). It stands like a rock, doesn't vibrate at all and has a large area where the Star Adventurer is perfectly mounted.

DSC00857-1.jpg
daniel.tackley 0.00
·  1 like
I have the SkyWatcher 3/8" model which is very similar to the one I have for my HEQ5:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/sky-watcher-38-stainless-steel-tripod.html

Plus the mount extension tube:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe-mount-extension-tube.html

Dan
Edited ...
apo20232 0.00
·  1 like
Hi,

I only have about 3.5 lbs of payload on my SA (Nikon D5600 + Space Cat 5`1), but I have been really pleased with the Vanguard Alta series 65 tripod.

Jim

Register or login to create to post a reply.