Optec FastFocus Generic equipment discussions · François Régembal · ... · 4 · 79 · 0

foudastro 0.00
Hi all!

I am considering purchasing the OPTEC FastFocus system for my C14 EdgeHD scope.
Before I make this significant investment, I'd love to read returns on experience from users.
I'm particularly interested in: installation challenges, ease of collimation, robustness of the associated FocusLynx ASCOM software (used with FocusMax) and any other feedback.

Thanks a lot!

François
jhayes_tucson 22.40
Even though I’ve never owned the Fast Focus SMFS, I’ve been recommending it for C14 owners for many years.  In principle, it’s an excellent way to achieve precision, nearly backlash free focusing while eliminating focus shift and mirror flop, which are two common problems in the Celestron systems.  I have used a couple of Focus Boss/Focus Lynx controlled focusers for years and they have been bullet proof.  In my experience Optec products are extremely well designed, well built, and reliable.  They have always provided outstanding support as well.  My C14 Edge incorporates a custom one-of-a-kind focuser that I designed; but SMFS is what I would use if I was going to configure another C14 for imaging.

As for optical alignment, you’ll have to realign your secondary mirror after installing the SMFS unit but that shouldn’t be any harder than aligning the base telescope.  The main issue will be how to run the wires through the entrance pupil.  You have two choices.  First, you can curve them to minimize the diffraction effects.  Otherwise, you can run them straight across the aperture in the form of a normal 4-vane spider.  In that case, you’ll get four point diffraction patterns around the stars.  Some folks like that effect and some don’t so it’s your choice.

John
foudastro 0.00
Thanks  a lot John!
If I go ahead with this purchase, I'll add the "Split Wire harness" to my order to get the 4-wire arrangement. I actually like the diffraction patterns in general (got used to them with our Astrosib RC360 after imaging for years with refractors).
Francois
dhavalbbhatt 2.62
I think the other thing with SMFS is that it probably would be the only way in which you may be able to use ONAG, if you decide to go that route.

I haven't checked how the Optec Leo focuser would work in conjunction with an ONAG, but the SMFS would be a sure shot way of using the ONAG (which I am guessing with that scope is pretty much a requirement).

CS!
foudastro 0.00
Thanks Dhaval !
I am using the SBIG STT8300 with the self-guided filter wheel so I don't need the ONAG. The main points for me are to keep the imaging train rock solid with no moving part, block the primary mirror and to always maintain the optimal distance between the CCD chip and the field corrector.
Francois

Register or login to create to post a reply.