Image Acquisition Question Globular Star Clusters · John Massey · ... · 2 · 94 · 0

jmfloater 0.00
When ever I image a Globular Cluster I seem to be on the fence as to whether I should take more short duration images or fewer longer duration images - or - do I take a combination of long and short and apply HDR in PI. I even question whether I should take Lum or not. Some excellent images here tell me some of you know more than I do. Any feed back would be appreciated.
Edited ...
KathyNS 5.12
·  2 likes
The question is not unique to globular clusters.  The most important variable is neither exposure length nor number of frames, but total exposure time.  There is not a lot of difference between 60 1-minute frames and 12 5-minute frames.  This is especially true of globs, where there is not a lot of faint detail.  There is a lot of detail, but all of it is bright.

I have not found a need for HDR processing with globs.  Unless your raw frames are over-exposed (in which case, shorten them), there isn't the dynamic range that requires HDR.

Processing globs does require patience and a light hand on the Curves control.  In fact, they are a good target for practising how to use Curves.

Whether or not to take Lum frames depends on your style and preferences.  Personally, I like to use Lum frames.  I can concentrate all my attention on getting the detail right in the Lum frames, and not worry about the colour until later.  You can get equally good images either way, so there is no right and wrong.  I take Lum frames because it allows me to bin the RGB, for faster exposure times and download times.  I can concentrate my sky time on capturing details in the L layer.
jmfloater 0.00
Thanks Kathy!  I revisited some of my GC's, applied curves less aggressively and the results were much improved. Clear Skies!

Register or login to create to post a reply.