Using SkySafari with the ASI Air Pro ZWO ASIAIR PRO USERS · Elmiko · ... · 4 · 143 · 0

Elmiko 9.53
·  1 like
So last night I used SkySafari to slew to a star that is located in the perfect spot to center the Veil nebula region. But when I pushed the plate solve button in ASI Air program, it would not recognize the star. I'm wondering if the star has to be in the ASI Air program library for it to plate solve?🤔 I'm really trying to figure it out. I Know there has to be a way to do this. Using SkySafari would be the ultimate way to get the best framing on the target. I wonder if I can just plug in the RA Dec coordinate in the search window in the ASI Air program it will slew and plate solve?The reason I want to use SkySafari is of course the target options are limitless. Have you tried this yet? Thanks for any advice that you can provide. Mike
astrograndpa 13.14
·  1 like
I use Stellarium to find the coordinates of objects not in the Air database (especially for mosaics) and then put them in the Air as you mention (in the Preview).  Works like a charm although you have to figure in your camera rotation kind of hit and miss.    I've never had a problem with plate solving with the Air...unless I have the wrong focal length entered!
Elmiko 9.53
·  1 like
Thanks so much for your help John!! I have no problems plate solving when using just the ASI Air program. Only last night after I slewed to a dim little star using SkySafari pro. After the mount slewed to the star, I wanted to be sure it was centered, so I manually pressed the plate solve button in ASI Air program and it failed the plate solve. But the star I slewed to wasn't in the little search window in the ASI Air program. 
I just think the ASI Air Pro working with SkySafari Pro would be the ultimate way to control the mount. That way you don't have to plug in the Ra Dec coordinates in the search window. Like I said, I can slew the mount successfully with SkySafari, but ASI Air program isn't recognizing were the mount is pointing, apparently. I've tried syncing both programs also.
I'm imaging the Veil Nebula region with my 135 mm Lens, and I want the region centered a certain way on the sensor. So my thoughts are I can pick a star in SkySafari that will be the exact location to slew to and frame the target exactly where I want. ASI Air program is limited in it's Library... Although a quite extensive library, it doesn't have that particular star in it. 
So, are you saying that I can just enter the coordinates in the search window on the ASI Air program? And hit go-to and it will slew, and plate solve automatically?  
Thanks for any help John. So far though, I've had it out in the backyard and it has performed amazingly well! The last two nights it automatically did a meridian flip and parked and turned off after the Autorun completed. I haven't lost one sub from guiding issues! This is with a forgiving focal length of 135 mm. My guiding average is .8 arc second RMS. I'm loving it!

Thanks again for any help John!   Take care and clear skies.    Mike
astrograndpa 13.14
·  1 like
You were right about that being the ultimate but try entering the coordinates  in the preview and see if the plates solves. From my experience the mounts slews to my coordinates dead center every time. Then I just manually adjust my camera rotation with a few subs and I’m good to go. 0.8 RMS is good unless you have a really fantastic seeing.  I average between 0.9 and 0.5 from home and from my darker site. Which I’m leaving for in less than an hour!  sh2-64 baby!
Edited ...
Elmiko 9.53
Thanks so much John! I will try that. Lucky you! Dark skies! Were are you going?..... Generally?

Register or login to create to post a reply.