Places / Events to do astrophotography Pacific Northwest Astrophotographers · Kurt Friedrich · ... · 7 · 83 · 0

kurtfriedrich 0.00
Seems like this group is not too active?  Wondering if we can use it to compile good locations (dark, safe) to shoot from, and also, any star parties that might be in the WA/OR area?

>> Quite a few years ago I used to go to North Bend, to Rattlesnake Lake, is that still an allowed site?  Are there people here who would be interested in meeting there on good nights?

Kurt
DeepSkyWorkflows 0.90
I'm near Monroe so it's a bit of a haul, but I heard it's still a good location and would absolutely be up for meeting there.
kurtfriedrich 0.00
I am in Redmond.  Do you have a good site near Monroe?
morefield 11.07
·  1 like
Kurt,

Have you heard of Goldendale Sky Village?  It is a partnership put together by a group from Seattle and Portland to have a dedicated location for imaging and observing.  It also serves as a good way to meet others in the hobby.  This is a paid location where you have your own allocated lot but the price is nothing like buying land.  Here's the link if you want to learn more:

https://goldendaleskyvillage.com/

Kevin
kurtfriedrich 0.00
Thanks, that's a tad far!  Maybe when I retire and buy another camper and can stay a few days at a time.
thanks
rebrowni 0.00
·  1 like
I go to Malheur Field Station in southeast Oregon  1-2 times a year. It is a wildlife refuge and Bortle 1 skies. They have lodging for individuals and groups at the field station. Malheur Field Station

Robert
DeepSkyWorkflows 0.90
I am in Redmond.  Do you have a good site near Monroe?

The Everett Astronomy Society has sky parties by Panther Lake and I heard Old Pipeline Road has spots but haven't verified that yet..
CCDnOES 5.21
Maybe a bit OT, but I have been imaging in Oregon for the past almost 30 years and have my own site in my backyard in Central Oregon but even that is hopeless in the winter. Even when it is clear (seldom) the seeing is crap. I have a seeing monitor and it is typically 1-2 arcsec in  the summer but after October it is seldom below 2.5 and sometimes as bad as 5 or 6 arcsec. About the only thing useable is my 200 mm camera lens system and then only a few nights when it is clear.

I finally gave up on winter in the Pac NW and now have a cooperative system (with another poor Oregon imager) at a rental site in NM where their weather seasons are a mirror image of ours.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.