Horsehead Nebula - LRGB Crtitique Constructive Critique Requested · Christopher Stobie · ... · 4 · 101 · 0

stobiewankenobi 1.51
· 
Hello all, 

I recently finished about 18h on the Horsehead from the dark skies of DSW. Would love some discussion/feedback on the processing. 

https://www.astrobin.com/56kvmw/
udeuterm
· 
·  1 like
Overall, no question, this is a wonderful image of one of the most iconic areas in the sky! Obtained from DSW asks for perfection though (well, at least I see it like that, maybe this is the reason why I do not dare to get images from there 😊). So please keep in mind that the standards for your image are a bit higher.
At full resolution it looks too soft, especially when zooming in to the Flame and the Horse Head. Also, the little black nebula reaching from the rim into the wonderful red background are not detailed enough. Star handling looks fairly good, maybe a tick to reddish.

One word to the arcsinh process: I did the very same but dropped it in almost all recent images. You are absolutely correct; this process burns out stars and they always look not nice. Instead, I just stretch normally and then apply a lot of saturation to a star image only and screen them back into a starless image. 

This all sounds maybe harsh, but there are always ways to improve. Personally, I would consider this as a wall hanger myself 😊. From the distance it looks awesome!
stobiewankenobi 1.51
· 
·  1 like
Uwe Deutermann:
Overall, no question, this is a wonderful image of one of the most iconic areas in the sky! Obtained from DSW asks for perfection though (well, at least I see it like that, maybe this is the reason why I do not dare to get images from there 😊). So please keep in mind that the standards for your image are a bit higher.
At full resolution it looks too soft, especially when zooming in to the Flame and the Horse Head. Also, the little black nebula reaching from the rim into the wonderful red background are not detailed enough. Star handling looks fairly good, maybe a tick to reddish.

One word to the arcsinh process: I did the very same but dropped it in almost all recent images. You are absolutely correct; this process burns out stars and they always look not nice. Instead, I just stretch normally and then apply a lot of saturation to a star image only and screen them back into a starless image. 

This all sounds maybe harsh, but there are always ways to improve. Personally, I would consider this as a wall hanger myself 😊. From the distance it looks awesome!

I love it. This is super helpful!

I am curious if you have recommendations on the softness you mention. I do some sharpening g with multi scale linear. However if I do more than I have it seems to introduce far more noise than I like to see. Any other ideas?
udeuterm
· 
·  1 like
This is indeed a good question, and I believe there is no ultimate solution for it. Maybe the best advice that I can give is to apply the changes VERY gradually, with a lot of patience. The topaz sharpening program is also a good tool, but one has to be super careful with it as well. There is a tool for PI called ADVSharpening, do not have the web address handy, but you probably will find it. It is an Austrian site. You might want to give that a try as well.
astrograndpa 13.14
· 
·  1 like
I agree with Uwe about the higher standard.  (in fact I don't think I've ever disagreed with him 😂)  I'm not experienced enough to see all that Uwe sees.  It is a wall hanger and it's 46MBs!    At full res many stars are blown out.  Maybe take some short RGB subs and use those resulting stars?  I've been using StarExterminator (terrible name) to isolate the stars instead of Starnet with better results.

Register or login to create to post a reply.