ASI2600MM Pro Streaking Issue Generic equipment discussions · Rob Calfee · ... · 41 · 1025 · 8

PatrickGraham 5.70
· 
·  1 like
Rob,  I'm showing my ignorance here but what is the "NSG" process you are using?

Patrick
RogerN123456 4.57
· 
·  1 like
I would suggest your next step is to do a manual Calibration, CC, Alignment and NSG/Integration.  If that is giving you a different result to WBPP then you could look at the history settings in the two sets of images and see what is different.   My first thought when I saw the vertical lines was that it was a USB or supply voltage issue, but you seem to have shown it is a processing issue only.   I don't use WBPP, does it also create and save the intermediate files? if so you could also work back by replacing one step at a time.
Edited ...
Robcafe51 7.53
· 
·  1 like
Patrick Graham:
Rob,  I'm showing my ignorance here but what is the "NSG" process you are using?

Patrick

You just made me realize I've been typing that acronym backasswards. NGS. Ugh
andreatax 7.46
· 
·  2 likes
So you didn't just align and stack, didn't you? Naughty naughty My personal advice is avoid the scripts, if you possibly can. And you can. Just follow the usual routine and you know where you going to end up and with what. As for @Die Launische Diva I don't use that script so I can't help. My suggestion is to do it step by step and see at what point the issue kicks in.
Robcafe51 7.53
· 
I tried WBPP with Linear Pattern Subtraction at 15 and the streaks disappeared. I just don't know if LPS affected anything as a consequence.  Going to walk it down and see where it disappears. Screenshot 2022-01-11 133829.jpg
Robcafe51 7.53
· 
andrea tasselli:
So you didn't just align and stack, didn't you? Naughty naughty My personal advice is avoid the scripts, if you possibly can. And you can. Just follow the usual routine and you know where you going to end up and with what. As for @Die Launische Diva I don't use that script so I can't help. My suggestion is to do it step by step and see at what point the issue kicks in.

Ha! Yeah, I was using WBPP and didn't realize at first you meant manual. I like to use scripts because they are convenient for my hectic work/family life.
PatrickGraham 5.70
· 
·  1 like
Rob,  looking at your earlier post; I've read where bias frames mess up subs taken with CMOS sensors such as the 2600.   I think you solved the problem by using dark/flats instead.  I think you had it right with the NSG..  the term is in all your frame headers.  Is that a noise generation/reduction script?

Patrick
Robcafe51 7.53
· 
·  1 like
Patrick Graham:
Rob,  looking at your earlier post; I've read where bias frames mess up subs taken with CMOS sensors such as the 2600.   I think you solved the problem by using dark/flats instead.  I think you had it right with the NSG..  the term is in all your frame headers.  Is that a noise generation/reduction script?

Patrick

Yeah. I'm going to go try dark flats next after walking down Linear Pattern Subtraction. Normalized Gradient Script is what I was trying to use an acronym for and never realized I was NSG instead of NGS. I'll report back. Doing Linear Patter Subtraction at 6 right now. I used it at 10 and the streaks went away but I think it affected Cosmetic Corrector.
Starman609 6.45
· 
·  1 like
Uncheck the "distortion correction" box in image registration in WBPP and see if that helps.
Edited ...
Robcafe51 7.53
· 
Uncheck the "distortion correction" box in image registration in WBPP and see if that helps.

I'll try that next, too.  Running Linear Patter Subtraction at 8 right now. 6 still showed some light streaks.
Robcafe51 7.53
· 
Linear Pattern Subtraction at 8 is where the streaks disappeared. I'm going to run this one manual, though, as I need to learn more about the process anyway. Always something to learn. It's a curse and a boon at the same time. 

Thanks to everyone for their help! I really appreciate the support you've always never hesitated to give.
Robcafe51 7.53
· 
·  1 like
Rob Calfee:

I'll try that next, too.  Running Linear Patter Subtraction at 8 right now. 6 still showed some light streaks.

Rob Calfee:

***Distortion Correction was already off.
Die_Launische_Diva 11.14
· 
·  1 like
Is Linear Pattern Subtraction necessary? Does your sensor has such defects? Probably not ! Who knows what other unnecessary processing WBPP performs and ruins your data! Of course I am exaggerating, such tools are useful given you know its internals. My belief is that you should automate something you fully understand).

Your next step should be to calibrate your lights, preferably without using WBPP. And then, just turn on a rejection algorithm in ImageIntegration. Here is a PI guide for image calibration. I know this is a lengthy guide, but it is better to invest your time there than in endless trial-and-error WBPP sessions.
jonnybravo0311 7.83
· 
·  2 likes
Die Launische Diva:
Is Linear Pattern Subtraction necessary? Does your sensor has such defects? Probably not ! Who knows what other unnecessary processing WBPP performs and ruins your data! Of course I am exaggerating, such tools are useful given you know its internals. My belief is that you should automate something you fully understand).

Your next step should be to calibrate your lights, preferably without using WBPP. And then, just turn on a rejection algorithm in ImageIntegration. Here is a PI guide for image calibration. I know this is a lengthy guide, but it is better to invest your time there than in endless trial-and-error WBPP sessions.

Bernd's guide on the PI forum was pretty much my Bible when I was first learning how to use the PI tools. I also had used the tutorial over at Light Vortex Academy (https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-pre-processing-calibrating-and-stacking-images-in-pixinsight.html).
AstroBadger 5.72
· 
·  4 likes
Hi Rob,
I had the same issue with my ASI 6200 MM Pro and found it was caused by the Linear Pattern Subtraction option in WBPP. Why I have no idea. Try running your calibration with  Linear Pattern Subtraction disabled, I am sure it will resolve the issue.
Best regards and clear skies.
Steve

ps I was imaging IC 1848 and the problem only occurred with Ha data and to a lesser extent OIII data, I did not see it with SII data. The number of subs was approximately equal. It did not occur in the SHO data I took a few weeks before when targeting IC 1805. The only difference in my rig was that I rotated the image train ~90 deg to frame IC 1848 better.
Edited ...
Robcafe51 7.53
· 
·  1 like
@Steve Greaves That was it! I'll try running the whole thing now. However, I'm still going back to learn more of the manual way and the details underneath. Thanks, Steve!

Cheers!
Robcafe51 7.53
· 
·  1 like
@Steve Greaves Just ran the Ha subs through the Normalized Gradient Script and Integration and that worked. Cheers!

Register or login to create to post a reply.