First attempt at SHO image ... would like your feedback Requests for constructive critique · Andy Wray · ... · 5 · 565 · 5

andymw 11.04
· 
I took the below image of the crab nebula over the past 3 days.  It's 75 x 300sec exposures (25 each) through SII, Ha and OIII 7nm filters.  Any suggestions on ways to improve colours, detail, contrast, stars etc. would be appreciated:
20220326-Image12.jpg

My first attempt at the crab
Edited ...
andreatax 7.76
· 
·  1 like
It seems to me that you clipped the shadows.
Djibi 2.41
· 
·  3 likes
Hello Andy @Andy Wray

I like the details you got from M1, its sharp and without being "oversharpened" ^^

Some few comments:
In a general way:
- you have clipped the sky background which is almost at 0% , you could try to maintain the sky background at values between 6% to 15% this will give a more natural look especially if you pay attention not to stretch too much this background
- there is a residual gradient, from bottom to up, to handle at the very beginning of the processing in linear phase

More specific to SHO : 
- you can do what you want with colours in SHO, for my personnal taste, there is perhaps too many green in your composition, but this is only my opinion ^^ I must admit that with M1, I prefer HOO composition 
- the same for the stars colours, especially in SHO, you could try to manage stars colours either with a few RGB acquisition or with a dedicated composition for the stars : with Starnet v2, it is very easy to separate this processing, even without RGB data, you may try something like :
R: Ha
G: 20%Ha + 80%Oiii
B: Oiii

with this you will get stars colours "more natural", even if you maintain a SHO composition for the nebulosity
But as I said, you can do what you want, this is just to open you some doors that perhaps you haven't considered ;-)

Clear Skies
andymw 11.04
· 
·  1 like
Jean-Baptiste:
More specific to SHO : 
- you can do what you want with colours in SHO, for my personnal taste, there is perhaps too many green in your composition, but this is only my opinion ^^ I must admit that with M1, I prefer HOO composition 
- the same for the stars colours, especially in SHO, you could try to manage stars colours either with a few RGB acquisition or with a dedicated composition for the stars : with Starnet v2, it is very easy to separate this processing, even without RGB data, you may try something like :
R: Ha
G: 20%Ha + 80%Oiii
B: Oiii

Many thanks!  Very useful.  I have fixed the rookie clipping mistake and have applied your other two recommendations.  I particularly like the star pixelmath combination which I will use in future when I run out of time to do the RGB capture.
Image25small.png
Gamaholjad 3.31
· 
As above for stars use RGB. Also try adding the Ha data as a luminance in the pixinsight LRGB just uncheck the rgb, drag the settings onto your color image. The image should pop a little. Theres loads on option to adjust color on that function too. Play till you get an image you like. Your image is already great.
andymw 11.04
· 
·  1 like
OK, here was my final process of this based on above feedback:
First_proper_process2.png

Crab Nebula SHO using a cheap newtonian
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.