What’s your Bortle’s sky scale! Other · Daniel Arenas · ... · 15 · 894 · 0

This topic contains a poll.
In which Bortle’s sky scale do you use to shoot astrophotography?
Bortle 1
Bortle 2
Bortle 3
Bortle 4
Bortle 5
Bortle 6
Bortle 7
Bortle 8
Bortle 9
D_79 1.43
· 
So that’s the question and in order to make it easy, let’s do a poll. In which Bortle’s scale do you use to shoot with your equipment?

In my case in a Botle 5 sky in a coast town (more than 20 thousand inhabitants). It coul be better of course but it could be worse too. And what about you? Are you a lucky one or not?
Edited ...
dogaard 1.43
· 
·  1 like
>>  Are you a lucky one

Small-town Wyoming here. Yeah, I guess I'm pretty lucky for the dark skies.  I clicked "Bortle 2" on the poll, but that's a rough average. My backyard would be more like Bortle 3. But I can drive for 5-10 minutes out in the badlands and be Bortle 2.  And with another 20-30 minutes drive, Bortle 1. No lights at all for 10--20 miles.

And I hope to do some of that, if spring ever gets here! (3-4 inches of snow yesterday!)
astrola72 0.00
· 
·  1 like
I replied Bortle 4, but that's only the western half of the sky, approximately SW to NE. The rest is at least Bortle 5, with the nearby city of Fredrick to the east and the DC Metroplex to the southeast. 40+ years ago when I built my house, it was a solid 3 all around.

Joe
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
I clicked bortle 4. While I wish I was in darker skies, I very happy to have what I have an use filters to get what I want out of different objects/targets.
SemiPro 7.67
· 
·  3 likes
Bortle 8/9! However I can be in Bortle 2/3 in roughly an hour. A tank of gas is the best light pollution filter I have.
kuechlew 7.75
· 
·  2 likes
Bortle 5 in the West, Bortle 6+ with a huge light dome in the east due to a major city.

Clear skies
Wolfgang
de3ug 1.51
· 
·  1 like
I'm deep in Bortle 7 territory right now, in between the two main freeways running up to San Francisco, CA. However we just bought a house in a slightly more rural community that shows up as Bortle 5/6 on the various light pollution maps. While this was obviously not a major factor in deciding to move, I'm excited to see if I can take longer broadband exposures from our new home.

I wonder if anyone here is dedicated enough to this hobby to decide to move based on light pollution.
battleriverobservatory 6.06
· 
·  1 like
2-3 depending on where I look. I picked 3 because thats what my app says. Either way its dark enough to see Pleiades as bright blue with naked eye and most of the milky way is illuminated.
Edited ...
RichardS_27 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Bortle 7 at home (also on the Peninsula just south of San Francisco) but 40 minutes away from 4/5 in the Santa Cruz mountains
Starman609 6.45
· 
·  1 like
Bortle 5 for me as I live in the country but between two large cities East and West of my location.
Edited ...
Kanadalainen 6.10
· 
·  2 likes
I have not imaged from my backyard (Bortle 6 or 7), but rather, frequently visit a number of sites within an hours' drive, one of them very dark at Bortle 2.

My home is a city of .8 million but there are very few towns in proximity (Central Canada) which allows for a quick escape from the light dome.   Even better, the land transitions from prairie to boreal forest within 50 km to the east of the city, and thats where the fewest people and darkest skies are.

There is a small crew of us (as many as 6) and sometimes only 2 or 3 that make these trips.

Ian
Edited ...
fornaxtwo 1.81
· 
·  2 likes
The clear outside app flips between 7 and 8, either way it’s bad 😕 that’s where I have my permanent setup. An hour and a half away would get me a 3 maybe in north Wales, used to go there a lot but my aging bones don’t like the cold anymore ☺️
ImNewHere 1.20
· 
·  2 likes
Bortle 4 with magnitude 20.85 skies here.
BradleyWatson 7.33
· 
·  2 likes
Clicked bortle 8 but if I point east thats into the city light zone. Man, LP is terrible!
StuartT 4.69
· 
·  1 like
Never really worried about Bortle scale, to be honest. As long as you image in narrowband you can do it in the centre of town with a full moon!

Unless you're talking about visual astronomy. But who does that anyway? 
Edited ...
D_79 1.43
· 
·  2 likes
Stuart Taylor:
Never really worried about Bortle scale, to be honest. As long as you image in narrowband you can do it in the centre of town with a full moon!

Unless you're talking about visual astronomy. But who does that anyway? 

That's a big issue but in narrowband a lot of time is needed. Maybe if yo have a backyard or similar in your house to shoot could be the solution but for those of us who live in flats and have to moove every session, I don't know it's the best issue. I'm very interested in that because I want to do my next step, a dedicated camera. But price is still a big issue 2200€ for a ASI 2600 MC in front of a 2900€ for a ASI 2600 MM and filterwheel and filters are needed... For butget reasons OSC (MC) is my best option.

Register or login to create to post a reply.