Best galaxy target in the UK right now Other · Andy Wray · ... · 9 · 199 · 1

andymw 11.04
· 
Just wondering what galaxy people in the UK are targetting right now.  I started on M106 the other night as it is high in the sky and should give me a few hours a night when the skies are clear (wishful thinking).  Any other suggestions given our moon status and limited clear nights?
akion 0.00
· 
·  1 like
He who seeks the sweet fruits of DSO astrophotography during a full moon will only find sour ones, I am told so.

As for targets, the aladin photo planner is the answere:

https://csillagtura.ro/projektek/aladin-photo/
andymw 11.04
· 
He who seeks the sweet fruits of DSO astrophotography during a full moon will only find sour ones, I am told so

Very true, however M106 was about as far away as you can get from that evil monster.
kuechlew 7.75
· 
Andy Wray:
Just wondering what galaxy people in the UK are targetting right now.  I started on M106 the other night as it is high in the sky and should give me a few hours a night when the skies are clear (wishful thinking).  Any other suggestions given our moon status and limited clear nights?

Hi Andy, full moon should not be that much of an issue since it's currently very low in the northern sky. 

Clear skies
Wolfgang
andreatax 7.76
· 
And it is lunar eclipse night tonite, for those lucky enough to have a clear sky which doen't include me, so much less of an issue!

As for galaxies, the season is about over for the UK anyway. And for most DSOs anyways.
Edited ...
andymw 11.04
· 
andrea tasselli:
As for galaxies, the season is about over for the UK anyway. And for most DSOs anyways.

So, given what you have said, what would you recommend imaging over the summer months?
Edited ...
andreatax 7.76
· 
I don't know about most people. I tend to do star clusters if I take the fancy but mostly, from end of May to end of July, maintenance of hardware and testing new hardware, if there is any to be tested.
andymw 11.04
· 
andrea tasselli:
maintenance of hardware and testing new hardware

I guess that is exactly what I am doing;  just looking for targets to test my new OAG on, checking I've got my optical chain right and checking I've got the mount optimised.  Also, finding the odd target that I can gain quite a few hours on to improve my processing skills.  I also just added a local mini PC on the mount, so need to make sure that is all working as it should.   

That said:  I'm sure there are still a few targets that are worth pursuing properly during the early hours (i.e. post-midnight).
andreatax 7.76
· 
I'd be curious to know what the other folk in the UK are doing during the "bright time". When isn't cloudy or raining, that is.
kuechlew 7.75
· 
·  1 like
I'm not located in the UK but Gemany is most likely not that much better off. As a beginner in addition to trying to get to grips with my gear, I started to image and learn the constellations. No spectacular targets but you learn to navigate  the night sky while practising the imaging workflow.

Clear skies
Wolfgang

Register or login to create to post a reply.