Using AAP remotely thru 4/5G routers ZWO ASIAIR PRO USERS · Tommy Blomqvist · ... · 8 · 257 · 0

Tombee 1.51
· 
·  1 like
I was thinking of switching from my stick-PC for remote observation to a ASIAIR pro or plus but haven't tried it with any 4 or 5G router.
My plan is to connect the router directly to the AAP ethernet port.
I suspect the easy way is a complete portforwarding or has anyone got any other suggestion.
I did a snoop on the network traffic between my phone and AAP and there seems to be a lot of ports in use.

Has anyone tried it and did it work well?

Are there any recommendation of routers to use or not to use?
ibskiing 3.00
· 
Tommy,
If I understand your question the answer is yes.  I use Google Nest for my wifi and added a Hub in my garage and ran an ethernet cable from the Hub in my garage to my ASIAir Pro, works great.
astrograndpa 13.14
· 
·  2 likes
I run two rigs in my backyard, both with ASIAIR's.  I have a wifi extender for each which are first connected to my home router via wifi.  Then an ethernet cable to the AIR.  Then on my iPad I can see both, and switch between them.  That got confusing so I bought another iPad one for each AIR. Oh, the iPads are just connected to my home router's wifi.  I can also go to my iMac and on my network I see the files on the AIR.  If I forget to use a USB drive I can download the file that way.  -john
AstroDoc 1.20
· 
·  1 like
It’s easy and works well. I connect the ASIAIR directly to a repeater via a 25 foot cat 5 wire. The repeater is located close to the window outside near where the WiFi access point is. Solid reliable connection.
gambrinus 0.00
· 
Hi Tommy

I connect ASIAir Pro via an Ethernet Power line network to my Fritz!Box Router. I attach a Power line Adapter at the end of an outside 10-15 m 220V Power cable, at 3-5 Mbit/s. Works well with my ASI2600 Camera.
Furthermore, I can run the ASIAir from Windows PC (Ethernet with Bluestacks 5), iPad or Android Phone (wireless connection to router).

You are Swedish, right? Me too...
markusd112 0.00
· 
Tommy Blomqvist:
I suspect the easy way is a complete portforwarding or has anyone got any other suggestion.
I did a snoop on the network traffic between my phone and AAP and there seems to be a lot of ports in use.

In my opinion simply opening the tcp/udp ports used by ASIair app to the internet is not a very secure solution. I would recommend using a VPN connection to your mobile router and access the ASIair over a VPN (e.g. IPsec or OpenVPN).
Tombee 1.51
· 
Tommy Blomqvist:

In my opinion simply opening the tcp/udp ports used by ASIair app to the internet is not a very secure solution. I would recommend using a VPN connection to your mobile router and access the ASIair over a VPN (e.g. IPsec or OpenVPN).

Yes you are right and I did establish a link over OpenVPN that seems to work well with my 5G router.
jpoulette 1.20
· 
You guys are WAY over my head here on the IT side.

But I will tell you - I love the ASIAIR "station mode". I have the set-up out in the drive way, and (once polar aligned) I can easily connect from anywhere in the house through our home WiFi. I usually connect with my PC and a tablet simultaneously.

It's also a lifesaver when you're in the midst of a New England winter, or spring (now) with hoards of blood thirsty mosquitos.
Tombee 1.51
· 
I realize that maybe I should follow up on this thread that I myself started more than a year ago.

I did add one Teltonika RUT-241 4G router with a SIM-card to my remote rig and it works really great.
This 241 model has only one input and one output but there are many more competent version if you have the need to control your observatory with normal digital input and outputs.
There are also versions with build in network switches.

In my case I hardwire the LAN (two ports on the router) to the ASIAIR and/or mini-PC (but you can always use the wlan router in the router if you like).
I configured a VLAN between one of my home network segments and the RUT-router and on that segment I can connect to the remote controller.

Register or login to create to post a reply.