Not sure if I ever introduced myself Introduce yourself! · Andy Wray · ... · 4 · 362 · 0

andymw 10.98
· 
·  9 likes
Sorry if I never introduced myself:

I'm 63 years old and very much retired (started as a Nuclear Submarine gearbox designer and then spent 35 years at HP in the computer industry).

My astro journey started when my Dad bought me a small refractor for Christmas when I was 9 years old ... I was amazed at looking at Jupiter and Saturn through that tiny scope in the back garden on very cold nights.  I then lived through the Apollo era and always wanted to be an astronaut, but never made it

My wife then bought me a Russian Tal1 telescope (6 inch newt) in the 90's which my daughter and I enjoyed looking through for a while ... she now has quite a senior position in the space industry, so I guess she also caught the bug.

My wife then gave me an 8" newt as a birthday present a few years ago and that is my current OTA (I daren't replace it until I have proved I have got the most out of it that I can).

Like many on here I have been on a steep learning curve for a couple of years, but am enjoying every minute of it.

Please put up with me if I ever get frustrated by this hobby.
Edited ...
Alan_Brunelle
· 
·  3 likes
Well, I think many have gotten to know you through you many questions on this forum.  But welcome!

And frustration is 1/2 the driving force for moving forward and deeper into the hobby!

Alan
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
Agree with @Alan Brunelle  Andy LOL welcome!

Dale
Edited ...
StuartT 4.69
· 
This is a great story @Andy Wray . Even though we 'know' you well now, it's better late than never!
Roy-Hagen 10.10
· 
Welcome, Andy, and thanks for sharing.

Register or login to create to post a reply.