Greattings Introduce yourself! · Emanuel Chacim · ... · 7 · 114 · 0

EmanuelC 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hello people! Greatings from Portugal.
Im an 49 years aircraft licensed engineer, with a passion for Astronomy and Astrophotography.
Ive been doing this fascinating hobby for several years now, but unfortunally, i had a very bad situation with my stored astro data, and lost about 80% of what i had.
Now, finally, i decided to join the community, and re-do my portfolio. Bit by bit, i hope that i can get there.
Cheers to everyone,
Emanuel
Juno16
· 
·  1 like
Hi Emanuel and welcome!

Sorry to hear about your data loss. How devastating!

You have a very nice collection beautiful images uploaded. It’s obvious that you have been an AP’er for quite some time. Very nice work!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Jim
EmanuelC 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Thank you very much for your comments Jim.
Yeah , i was devastated when i lost most of my files. I tried, i believe, everything i could, to recover them, I even took my external hard drive to a professional company, which was able to recover a small part, intact, but all the other files, that were also recovered, were corrupted to a point to have vertical or horizontal huge lines across the processed images, or sub-exposures, or, on other cases, really strange artifacts,  like , the same image as a double picture,  but not aligned. 
Really awkward artifacts, and I still don't understand what could cause such situations.
Anyway, I had to went, one file at the time, including darks, bias and flats, to check their condition, and basically deleting all the ones affected. Im guessing, I delete around 80 % of all I had, and took me almost 4 months to do that. Not every day, obviously, but, you can image the work involved on doing that.
Edited ...
Juno16
· 
·  1 like
Loosing that much data is sad.
I try to make a redundant backup, but you have reminded me to backup some recent data!
So far, what works for me is to install two 4TB internal (desktop) drives. I use one as a working drive and another for a backup copy.
Good luck nice meeting you!

Jim
Roy-Hagen 10.10
· 
·  1 like
Welcome to Astrobin,  Emanuel
You have a set of beautiful images, looking forward to se more of your work

Roy
EmanuelC 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Thank you very much  guys.
You know, I'm doing what I can with what I could salvage. Some images are the result of just 3 or 5 images, which is very low, as we all know.
With my latest purchase, the 533 Mc camera, I was able to do some more, but all the images that I performed with the Nikon D5300 were the ones affected. 
I had my data stored on a single external hard disk,  but know I see that its not enough. Minimum, we must have two or three different places, as a backup.
Edited ...
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
·  1 like
Welcome Emanuel, sorry to hear about the loss of your data. Very nice portfolio of images. I look forward to seeing your future images.

Dale
EmanuelC 0.00
· 
Thank you very much Dale

Register or login to create to post a reply.