Plate Solving Failure Electronically-Assisted Astronomy (EAA) · Jerry Gerber · ... · 6 · 477 · 0

jsg 8.77
· 
Hi!

I've had no problem plate-solving with the ASIAIR Plus using an Esprit 100 refractor, an AM5 mount and an asi2600mc camera.  My autoguiding is consistently around .2" to .5" on both RA and DEC axis.

Tonight I tried for the first time using the Edge 8".  Same mount, same camera, same ASIAIR Plus. I also have the .7 reducer, which brings the focal length down to 1422mm. 

Plate solving succeeds, the first image is taken.  then twice, the second image is taken and plate solving succeeds.  But on the 3rd exposure,  it fails.  It simply will not succeed on the 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th attempt.  I've refocused making sure the stars are as small and round as possible.  My Bahtinov mask is showing symmetrical spikes, I'm definitely in focus.  Astronomical twilight is past, it's dark and the seeing is average tonight.  I've tried adjusting the plate-solving exposure time from 3 to 5 to 10 seconds, but this doesn't resolve it.  Could it be the light from a neighbor's window just below the north star by 10 degrees or so? 

I'm also wondering if the prism in the Celestron OAG is interfering with some star patterns from being recognized, causing plate solving to fail.  Hmm...

Thanks for any suggestions that might help plate solve so I can get to polar alignment.

Jerry
Edited ...
SoDakAstronomyNut 1.43
· 
Are you shooting through a filter? Are you binning? CS & GB!
jsg 8.77
· 
·  1 like
Are you shooting through a filter? Are you binning? CS & GB!

Yes, a broadband Optoplong L-Pro filter.  But tonight I solved the issue.  Firstly, I moved the telescope away from a window light,  and this time I waited longer astronomical twilight was over and the sky was really dark, and also really honed in on focusing. Plate solving succeeded and I got polar aligned to 1 degree of accuracy. 

Thanks!
Jerry
Edited ...
WhooptieDo 8.78
· 
·  1 like
Do you bin for plate solving?  Might help....
jsg 8.77
· 
·  1 like
Do you bin for plate solving?  Might help....

yes, Bin 2 is the default for plate solving with the ASIAIR Plus.
SoDakAstronomyNut 1.43
· 
What focuser are you using?
jsg 8.77
· 
What focuser are you using?

Starlight Instruments micro focuser.

Register or login to create to post a reply.