New [ and free! ] software for taking flats [Deep Sky] Processing techniques · Steve Smith · ... · 8 · 716 · 0

ste7e 0.00
Hi all

While I've been largely locked under clouds for a couple of months, I thought I'd write some software that I've been meaning to get around to for a while.

I use a standard LCD computer monitor for taking flats.  I plug it in to my imaging laptop.  I started off using a blank HTML page in a full-screen browser window to provide the uniform grey colour on the display but I needed to vary the brightness of the display for different filters.

So, I wrote some software that does it.  The software is called Second Monitor Lightbox and is available free of charge from my site (paw-print.com).

If you use a CCD or CMOS with filter wheel, it'll link to the filter wheel via the ASCOM driver so that, once you've set the perfect brightness for each filter, it will change brightness automatically as the filter changes.

It also has a 'preset' mode for non-ASCOM set ups so that you can just re-call a pre-determined brightness to match a certain configuration (filter, binning, etc).

There's a tutorial based around using SGP Pro on the site, so if you want to try it have a look through that.

When you install it, Windows will warn you that it's from an Unknown Publisher. This is just because I don't pay Microsoft an annual fee for a developer's certificate. Just tell Windows to install it anyway - you may need to click 'More information' to get the option to go ahead.

Let me know what you think.  I hope some of you will find it useful.  I know it saves me a load of hassle at the end of a long session trying to get the right brightness level to give decent flats for each filter.

You can get it from here: http://paw-print.com

Steve
Vittorio 3.82
Great idea :-)
Starminer68 2.41
Cool!!! Great thanks
floreone 0.00
Impossible to install.
ste7e 0.00
Sorry, I've not done anything with this software for a while.

It should install without too much of a problem though.

Did you spot this bit of info on the info page?

When you install the software, you'll get a warning from Windows to say that it's from an 'Unknown publisher'. That's just because I haven't gone to the expense of buying a developer's certificate to sign the software. Just click 'More info' and 'Run anyway'.

Steve
floreone 0.00
Hi Steve,
I commented that it has not worked for me, my antivirus avast checks and says that it is fine and can be installed but when Windows wants to install it it is automatically canceled. I have disabled the Windows firewall in case it was the problem, but nothing.I have done exactly as you indicate.This weekend I will try again and if I get it I will add a comment so that other users know how to do it.
Thank you
domenicomarongiu
Thanks 8)
floreone 0.00
Hi Steve
I found the problem, it was a compatibility issue. Right click, troubleshoot compatibility issues, and it is installed.
Thank you 
ste7e 0.00
Great work.  Thanks for letting me know. 

Register or login to create to post a reply.