N.I.N.A. External Drive Stefan Berg Nighttime Imaging 'N' Astronomy (N.I.N.A. / NINA) · Mossyback · ... · 17 · 1298 · 0

Mossyback 3.91
· 
I posted earlier regarding my switch to using a PC Mini in the house and a PC Mini in the observatory rather than a Mac/PC combination. I've been slowly learning to use the PC after many years on the Mac.

My system is working well and N.I.N.A. is helping me get a good night's sleep. However, I've got a problem with my saved subs from a night of imaging. They are there, but I don't know how to access them so that I can process them in Pixinsight. (on a different computer)

From in the house I link to the observatory using Remote Desktop. I want to save my subs onto an external drive. Does the external drive have to be plugged into the Mini PC in the observatory or is there a way to download them onto the external drive plugged into the Mini PC in the house?

I know this is probably a dumb question but since I can control everything in the observatory  remotely, I think I should be able to obtain the data from there and put it on the external drive in the house.

If this is possible, how do I set it up in N.I.N.A. as the external drive does not show up in the observatory Mini PC.?

Hank
Ped 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
Have you tried the Robocopy plugin for NINA?

Here’s a very helpful video on how to set it up.

Hope this helps.

- Pedro
codylooman 0.00
· 
Hello,

I've been using N.I.N.A for a couple of years now and really enjoy it. If you click on options on the far left tab and then select imaging you will see the file settings. Near the top you'll see image file path. Click the three dots next to that to select where you would like to save your files. If it's an external hard drive then that would need to be plugged into your imaging computer. That is the route I've gone. You'll then need to bring your external hard drive inside to transfer the files to your computer that you use for processing. If you'd like to have them saved on your computer inside I would think that they would need to be saved to a Google drive or Dropbox via your imaging computer. I believe there are other ways to save them over WiFi onto another server or PC but that is beyond my technical knowledge. I'm sure somebody here knows more on that subject.
Hopefully some of that was helpful.

Cheers,
Cody
WhooptieDo 9.82
· 
·  5 likes
Presuming you have good wifi signal, and you are using Windows Remote Desktop, you can add any drive on any pc within your network as a 'network drive'.  

If you want your storage to be on a drive that's on your inside PC, simple choose a location, right click, properties, then enable sharing.

On your remote PC you open 'my computer', at the top you will see an option to 'add network location'.   Simply copy/paste the path from the sharing window on your other PC.    After that it becomes just like any other folder on your PC.

For me, both my telescopes are Windows 11 mini-pcs.   I use network sharing to access the NINA folder on both PCs and manually copy everything over at the end of the night.    I could use Robocopy but my remote desktop will usually cut out during file transfer, so I just wait until my session is over.
Mossyback 3.91
· 
Thanks for your suggestions Pedro, Cody and Brian. Problem solved!

Hank
337Higgins 0.00
· 
I have a Mele mini pc as my imaging computer and a Mac for my processing computer.   The Mele has a micro SD slot, and I use a micro sd card to transfer files.   I simply copy the imaging session to the SD card at the end of a session to move it over.
RogerCray 0.00
· 
@Mossyback the easiest way would be to specify your external drive in the options -> imaging. Here you can set the place where Nina will dump the files. It can be external or the normal drive.
noon 1.20
· 
·  1 like
My technique is to have a NAS plugged into my LAN. The NUC on my mount saves to the NAS, which then mirrors to the RAID array attached to my desktop. I had the NAS set up anyway to manage our family cloud so everything was pretty much in place already. 

The benefit of the NAS (Synology in my case) is increased if the observatory is at a separate location since I can tunnel to it from anywhere.
Mossyback 3.91
· 
Thanks, all. There seems to be several ways of accomplishing this and I now have Robocopy loaded into N.I.N.A. I've run into a problem going this route and I might have to use one of the other options. I've got an external drive plugged into my Mini PC in the house but it doesn't show up on the desktop. I've check in Device Manager and it shows up there and is functional properly. Why can't I access it? There must be some setting that I'm missing.
Reg_00 8.52
· 
Has it been properly formatted? Does it show on other PCs when connected?
Gunshy61 10.10
· 
·  1 like
Your note made me chuckle a little, I struggled a bit with this issue.   My rig with a Mele Quieter on it works great, but to ensure something doesn't get in the way of saving my new subs, and that no wireless clogs interfere with Nina communications, I just wait until morning and manually copy onto an external hard-drive and physically walk the drive back to my processing PC.  I heard the latest actively cooled Mele has enough horsepower to run imaging with Nina and Pixinsight at the same time.   The reason I chuckled a little was that your issue reminded me of an expression I once heard - "A jumbo jet full of CDs has a heck of a bandwidth" - same with physically walking a external drive.
C.S.
Dave
Edited ...
eqastro 0.90
· 
·  1 like
Resilio Sync is another great option to get your files off an imaging host (PC or Mac) if you have WiFi. It's the best of all worlds really, since you primarily save all files locally. The last thing you want is connectivity issues while saving files to a network drive. Unlike RoboCopy or rsync, it runs automatically in the background without requiring additional scripts or configuration, and it can be throttled to meet your needs. Out of the box, it can distribute files among multiple target machines. For example, I sync with my desktop and my NAS at the same time.
Mossyback 3.91
· 
Thanks , Andre. I’ll check it out.
Mossyback 3.91
· 
·  1 like
Reg,  that might be the problem. I’ve got a new one on order.
spaceworthy 0.00
· 
Not that it helps now, and not directly related to your question, but if you are a Mac user why not use any Mac as the controller for your Mini PC.
I use Macs for work and play, everything except Astronomy, I use a basic Del PC for all things in the Obsey.
However, I control it using Microsoft Remote Desktop on my awesome M1Mac and it is flawless.
I have a synced' shared drive for data and perform PI and all other post-processing on the heavy-lifting Mac.
Mossyback 3.91
· 
Hi Michael,

I originally used a similar setup as you describe. Unfortunately, with my setup I was plagued with small but frustrating problems and finally through in the towel and switched to the current PC arrangement for data collection only. I use my Macs for Pixinsight.

Hank
ishtiaqahmed9834 0.90
· 
·  3 likes

Hey Hank

Firstly, no question is dumb - we all learn as we go, especially when navigating a new system or software. It's great to hear you're making progress with your setup.

Regarding your question: while you can indeed control everything in the observatory remotely, transferring data requires a slightly different approach. By default, Remote Desktop doesn't redirect disk drives, but you can change that.

Here's a step-by-step:

Enable Drive Redirection:

Before connecting to the observatory's Mini PC using Remote Desktop, click on "Show Options" at the bottom.
Navigate to the "Local Resources" tab.
Under "Local devices and resources", click "More".
Check "Drives". This allows the remote session to access your local drives.
Click OK and connect to the observatory's Mini PC.
Transfer Files:

Once you're connected, open 'File Explorer' on the observatory's Mini PC.
Under 'This PC', you should see your local drives from the house Mini PC listed as network drives. They will typically have a designation like \\tsclient\D (where D represents the drive letter).
You can now copy the subs from the observatory's Mini PC to your external drive on the house Mini PC directly via this Remote Desktop session.
N.I.N.A. Setup:

Unfortunately, N.I.N.A. might not recognize the network-redirected drives. However, with the above method, you can manually transfer files after your imaging session. If you're adamant about saving directly to your house's external drive during the imaging session, consider a network share setup, but that's a bit more advanced.
Remember, when transferring large amounts of data (like raw images) remotely, the transfer speed will be limited by your network speed. Ensure you have a robust Wi-Fi connection or, better yet, a wired connection to minimize disruptions.

Hope this helps, and clear skies for your next imaging session!

Best,
Ahmad.
Mossyback 3.91
· 
Hi Ahmad,

Wow! Absolutely perfect and just what I needed.

Thank you so much for these precise instructions. I now have a way of obtaining my subs without going out to the observatory with an external drive in hand. 

‘I’m going to really enjoy it when I don’t have to get dressed up and wade through the snow this winter.

Sincerely,
Hank

Register or login to create to post a reply.