New from Ontario Canada. Introduce yourself! · Zombiesniper · ... · 13 · 324 · 1

Zombiesniper 1.20
· 
·  4 likes
Hello.
I'm Trevor and am a long time photographer but an absolutely newbie at astrophotography.

Gear:
Canon 7DmkII with a Canon 500mm F4.
Canon T5I (future astro mod)
Intervalometer should be here tomorrow.
iOptron Skyguider pro with 2 weight bars and 2 weights
I have a Player one guide camera and guide scope but won't break them out until the weather is nicer.
Svbony dew heater for the lens.
and a carbon fibre tripod.

I've been a photographer on and off since the mid 80's (yup I'm old). I started getting more serious with wildlife photography about 15 years ago. I started astrophotography because of a self imposed project (I really seem to like pain apparently) where I use my 500mm lens to shoot as many forms of photography using that lens without it being blatantly obvious that it was shot with a long wildlife lens. It's called "The 500 project"......yup creative names are us!

I've only been shooting a little over a month.

My first attempts at the Orion nebula I followed all of the settings I'd found online and I was running into an issue of a completely blown out core so I lowered my iso and turned out to be my best Orion yet. Now I just need to experiment more and get a lot more data to see where I can go from here.
Sorry for the long read and congrats if you made it through it. lol

Bortle 4 skies
Canon 7DkmII and Canon 500mm F4
Ioptron skyguiderpro
44 30sec lights at ISO 360.

Orion2 by Trevor Baldwin, on Flickr
Ecliptico 1.91
· 
·  1 like
Hello there Trevor,
I have lived many years of my life in Canada and may be planning to move back to Ontario in the near future. Nice first shot at M42. This is certainly one of the objects that always smile at the camera and it is wise to start with relatively easy targets. Since you are an experienced photographer, the learning curve is expected to be pretty narrow. I hope to see you around ! Guy
Zombiesniper 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Thank you.

Shooting wise the curve isn't too bad but the post processing was quite steep. Feel I'm about 3/4 the way there but it's always the last bit that takes the longes.
kalax 0.00
· 
·  1 like
incredible first shot
Zombiesniper 1.20
· 
Thank you.
Bennich 1.91
· 
·  1 like
Great first shot 😀
dpaniukov 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hi Trevor, I'm Dmitrii from south of Toronto. Great shot!
Zombiesniper 1.20
· 
Thank you.
AstroM1 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Hello! Bonjour from Québec!

Impressive first DSO image! I also shot first the Orion Nebula, but mine was not as impressive! Well done!! Enjoy AP!

Clear sky! Marc
Zombiesniper 1.20
· 
Thank you.
dvb 0.90
· 
Welcome Trevor - Great M42!

I am jealous of that 500mm f/4 lens!
Zombiesniper 1.20
· 
Thank you.
WhooptieDo 8.78
· 
·  1 like
Welcome to AB, nice first shot too!   You'll do well.    I might suggest getting a mount ASAP though, that poor Sky guider pro won't handle 500mm very well.   You're asking alot of it.
Zombiesniper 1.20
· 
Thank you.

Yes the Skyguider has been doing well but I bet it's life expectancy is going to be shorter than average. lol

Register or login to create to post a reply.