Optolong UHC vs Optolong-Enhance. Should I sell the first one when upgrading? Generic equipment discussions · FilippoTib · ... · 5 · 219 · 2

FilippoTib 0.00
· 
Hello, everyone. 
I've been shooting with an Optolong UHC for a year now but at this time I'm considering buying an optolong l-enhance to better counteract the light pollution in my bortle ~4/5 area and to be able to work in pseudo HOO mode.

My questions are mainly two:
- Does it make sense as an upgrade? Is the difference interesting?
- If I were to get the l-enhance, do you think it makes sense to also keep the uhc or are the subjects I could do with the uhc the same as with the new filter? I think the uhc is narrow-band enough to ruin a broadband subject like a galaxy like m31 might be...

Thanks a lot and CS!!!

F.T.
FilippoTib 0.00
· 
Hello, everyone. 
I've been shooting with an Optolong UHC for a year now but at this time I'm considering buying an optolong l-enhance to better counteract the light pollution in my bortle ~4/5 area and to be able to work in pseudo HOO mode.

My questions are mainly two:
- Does it make sense as an upgrade? Is the difference interesting?
- If I were to get the l-enhance, do you think it makes sense to also keep the uhc or are the subjects I could do with the uhc the same as with the new filter? I think the uhc is narrow-band enough to ruin a broadband subject like a galaxy like m31 might be...

Thanks a lot and CS!!!

F.T.

Ps. Actually, I also have one last question:
Do you think it makes sense to get a 2" even if you don't intend to use a filter wheel in the near future, or is it better to go clip-in to keep it as close to the sensor as possible?

Thanks a lot again and CS!

F.T.
OraxDOrion 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Hello, I am the owner of an L-eNhance filter. It is of great quality, it even eliminates the gradient a lot! It's certain. But, it still tends to go quite a bit towards the red and the HOO treatment is a little more complicated.

I advise you to keep your filter. You can use it for galaxies or dark nebulae. The L-eNhance is restrictive, so only for nebulae Ha and OIII, and nothing else!
FilippoTib 0.00
· 
Hi, thank you for your reply!

Clément Bonnal:
You can use it for galaxies or dark nebulae.

Just one question: I had understood galaxies to be subjects with broadband emission and therefore produce photons at frequencies discovered by my UHC filter. Can I use it instead?

OraxDOrion 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Forget galaxies with L-eNhance. 

I tested 3/4 lights on it, M51, forget it.

You'll lose too much RGB signal and get very little signal in general. 

The UHC is good for galaxies, although a little too restrictive. In my opinion, a CLS - CCD or an L-Pro is better suited to galaxies. Although, for galaxies, the UHC is already more suitable than the L-eNhance for galaxies. 

You can do this without a filter on the galaxy and with a UHC or L-eNhance to get the red nebulae in the galaxy to stand out more. But it's really a detail

If you want to be plivalent, the best is: L-eNhance, L-Pro and UHC.

Let's look at some examples:

IC 434, horse head: 
L-eNhance for the strong presence of Ha in the area and to have nice contrasts.
L-Pro for the dark nebulae.

M45, the Pleiades : 
L-Pro for all-blue nebulosities 

IC 2118, the L-Pro is perfect. Forget the L-eNhance because there's no Ha.

All that to say, the UHC you have is a real middle ground between a simple anti-pollution filter that's not at all restrictive, but which prevents you from getting any gradien and a dual band for Ha and OIII. 

- Clément Bonnal ( France )
FilippoTib 0.00
· 
Clément Bonnal:
Forget galaxies with L-eNhance. 

I tested 3/4 lights on it, M51, forget it.

You'll lose too much RGB signal and get very little signal in general. 

The UHC is good for galaxies, although a little too restrictive. In my opinion, a CLS - CCD or an L-Pro is better suited to galaxies. Although, for galaxies, the UHC is already more suitable than the L-eNhance for galaxies. 

You can do this without a filter on the galaxy and with a UHC or L-eNhance to get the red nebulae in the galaxy to stand out more. But it's really a detail

If you want to be plivalent, the best is: L-eNhance, L-Pro and UHC.

Let's look at some examples:

IC 434, horse head: 
L-eNhance for the strong presence of Ha in the area and to have nice contrasts.
L-Pro for the dark nebulae.

M45, the Pleiades : 
L-Pro for all-blue nebulosities 

IC 2118, the L-Pro is perfect. Forget the L-eNhance because there's no Ha.

All that to say, the UHC you have is a real middle ground between a simple anti-pollution filter that's not at all restrictive, but which prevents you from getting any gradien and a dual band for Ha and OIII. 

- Clément Bonnal ( France )

Perfect! Thank you!!

Register or login to create to post a reply.