Which UV/IR cut filter should I get? Generic equipment discussions · Menelaos · ... · 2 · 137 · 0

This topic contains a poll.
Which one?
L1
L2
L3
Menelaos 0.00
· 
Hello guys. I am looking into purchasing a uv/ir filter and there are a few different options about how much of the spectrum the let in (L1,2,3). What difference would L1 from L2 and L3 make? Will I be able to tell the difference in an image? How do I choose which one to get?
thank you.
TimH
· 
My understanding is that the choice depends on your telescope and optical path. If you are using say a Newtonian with not much difraction from reducers etc then the widest band pass (L1 ?)  might be appropriate. If on the other hand you have a relatively poorly corrected ED refractor doublet which might suffer from bloom at the blue end of the spectrum then a tighter band pass would be better (L3?)

Tim
danwatt 0.90
· 
Hello guys. I am looking into purchasing a uv/ir filter and there are a few different options about how much of the spectrum the let in (L1,2,3). What difference would L1 from L2 and L3 make? Will I be able to tell the difference in an image? How do I choose which one to get?
thank you.

I mostly image with newtonians so star bloat from chromatic aberration is not an issue. Occasionally I do use my camera with camera lenses or short refractors. I’ve found the L2 is a great all rounder. L3 would be nice for some refractors or older lenses that have worse CA, and L1 would be good for purely reflective optics. That said, I don’t feel like I’m missing much by using the L2 with my newt.

Register or login to create to post a reply.