Looking for a good windscreen solution Generic equipment discussions · Photon_Collector · ... · 3 · 108 · 0

Photon_Collector 1.43
· 
·  1 like
Hi all,

I just moved to an ocean-side site that has beautiful views but also comes with quite a bit of wind. 

It is still an apartment so I would have to be able to set up/break down pretty much every night. Is there a windscreen/guard that you could recommend or if you think its better to DIY, how did you build yours? 

I have a small refractor right now but would love to buy a big Newtonian or a RASA, which I know will be worthless as they'll act like big wind sails if I don't protect them. 

Thanks for any help!
BPS 0.00
· 
When we visit our winter home, I use a 10x10 dog kennel with privacy slats. It has a few advantages: it's lockable, and most people can't see the equipment very well. I purchased it secondhand for $100. With my C-8 telescope and an EQ6-R mount, a 7-mph wind is the maximum limit."
It is however a bit to move around so it may not work for you, but they do come in a verity of sizes.
skybob727 6.08
· 
·  1 like
I would be very cautious setting up a wind block unless you are absolutely sure it's anchored down extremely well. The last thing you want is having
the wind block coming loose and on your equipment. As stated above, a 7-mph wind is nothing, and you probably see that all the time. Can you just
setup on the opposite side of your apartment and use it as a wind block.
andreatax 7.56
· 
In my place a 7 mph wind wouldn't be consider more than a gentle breeze so it won't affect imagining even with the 12" (5' long newt) let alone the 6" or the 8". Up to 11 mph you can still image with the 8" f/4 or the 6" f/4 and beyond that up to 14 mph only with the 6" f/4. If it blows harder you use only the 300mm lens.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.