timelapse [Solar System] Processing techniques · Dennis Spender · ... · 6 · 154 · 0

dspender 0.90
· 
Hello all. Using a SeeStar S50 to capture the eclipse. I am able to create timelapse images of the sun. I managed to capture 331 images on one run recently.

What do I use to separate the individual images of the capture event from the timelapse video SeeStar created? I would like to save some, reject others, etc.
si-cho
· 
Hi, If the format is AVI or SER you can use Autostakkert and select the best % you want. Normally for details of the surface of the sun or moon, something between 5 to 10% of the best ones is fine. But it depends on how many of the images are above the 50%. Hope it helps. If you want to get all the individual images, you can do that using PIPP.

PD: I am assuming that you want to stack the best images to get one final good quality image.
Edited ...
dspender 0.90
· 
·  1 like
I want to capture images of the eclipse from start to finish. I could take individual photos over the course of 3 hours. However I was going to set SeeStar on time lapse, say 60 sec between shots, and at the end of the eclipse expect to have over 300 images. I presumed then I’d use some software to review that time lapse video, extract out the images I want to keep, and store them in another file to be individually processed.
si-cho
· 
Ok, if you don't want to stack at each moment you can use Sony Edge, that is free, and allow to select images, even you can apply a process to one image and apply to the rest before doing the time lapse. I believe that Photoshop also has that capability.
THe program from Sony is a set of three programs, and they're linked, so you don't need to open the three separately.
dspender 0.90
· 
I'll look into Sony Edge. ty
dspender 0.90
· 
Dennis Spender:
I want to capture images of the eclipse from start to finish. I could take individual photos over the course of 3 hours. However I was going to set SeeStar on time lapse, say 60 sec between shots, and at the end of the eclipse expect to have over 300 images. I presumed then I’d use some software to review that time lapse video, extract out the images I want to keep, and store them in another file to be individually processed.

So this is my intent, as noted above. I have found if I take a time-lapse, with photos shot every 20 sec, I can aggregate well over 300 photos in no time, enough to capture all the phases of the eclipse, without running out of memory. I have a supplemental battery to power the SeeStar so power exhaustion will not be a factor.

I have found with PIPP, I can stretch out that string of over 300 photos and see them individually. 

Now the ask: I would like to individually review those over 300 photos captured during the time-lapse episode, and extract those images I want to preserve, for example 25 before totality, ten during totality, and 25 after totality.

How do I use PIPP to extract those photos  I want to preserve from the photo shoot, place just those photos into their own file,  and work later with those extracted photos?
si-cho
· 
I believe that if you select, in the output options, TIFF or FITS it will save all the individual frames.

Register or login to create to post a reply.