Aligning solar eclipse images [Solar System] Processing techniques · Eric Gagne · ... · 22 · 885 · 1

EricGagne 1.51
· 
·  1 like
I took 33 pictures of the solar eclipse today, 1 every 5 minutes.  The images are good and I would like to create a timelapse but tracking was not perfect so they are misaligned.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to align them in PixInsight, Photoshop or anything else ?
pfile 1.81
· 
·  1 like
it may or may not work, but try the script called "FFTAlignment" in pixinsight. i've used it to align solar eclipse images before.
andreatax 7.56
· 
·  1 like
Eric Gagne:
I took 33 pictures of the solar eclipse today, 1 every 5 minutes.  The images are good and I would like to create a timelapse but tracking was not perfect so they are misaligned.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to align them in PixInsight, Photoshop or anything else ?

AutoStakkert or astrosurface.
TomBash 0.00
· 
I used FFT alignment in CCDStack to align my partial eclipse images and it worked perfectly.
EricGagne 1.51
· 
I didn’t need to align them in the sense of registering them for stacking.  Those were not to be stacked.  In this case I meant shifting the sun in the images to whatever position they needed to be in order to create a time lapse of the eclipse.

i ended up loading my images into layers in photoshop and aligning them by hand one layer at a time.
HegAstro 11.91
· 
·  1 like
Hi,

I am trying to construct a HDR composite from seven images. What I am finding is that the apparent size of the Moon/Sun is slightly different between the darkest and brightest images - or it may be that this is an artificial issue caused by saturation of pixels. So my questions are:
  1. Is this typical?
  2. How is this addressed?

Alignment was manually done in PS by nudging layers. I centered the best I could so the border between the images was symmetric, but there is clearly a size difference. The time difference between the first and last images is ~ 7 sec (I was taking 1 exp/sec at exposure times from 1/2500s to 0.4s and using a tracker).Image 17.png
andreatax 7.56
· 
Shadow projection is different as the moon progress across Sun's disk. I think as long as no pixel is saturated (or close to) the issue may be fixable, possibly using IRIS. I wonder whether LinearFit would work as well...
pfile 1.81
· 
Eric Gagne:
I didn’t need to align them in the sense of registering them for stacking.  Those were not to be stacked.  In this case I meant shifting the sun in the images to whatever position they needed to be in order to create a time lapse of the eclipse.

i ended up loading my images into layers in photoshop and aligning them by hand one layer at a time.

did you try FFTAlignment, or did it not work? i've used it for timelapse exactly as you are trying to do and it aligned most of the images properly.
ryan_faulkner 1.20
· 
Eric Gagne:

In Photoshop: File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack. The dialog will give you an option to align.

This worked well for me when the meridian flip really mucked up 1/3 of my images.

You can then create the Timelapse in Photoshop, which is what I usually do.
EricGagne 1.51
· 
Eric Gagne:

did you try FFTAlignment, or did it not work? i've used it for timelapse exactly as you are trying to do and it aligned most of the images properly.

Did not work but it very well could be that I don't know how to use it and didn't have the right settings.  I plan on trying it again.
EricGagne 1.51
· 
Ryan Faulkner:
Eric Gagne:

In Photoshop: File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack. The dialog will give you an option to align.

This worked well for me when the meridian flip really mucked up 1/3 of my images.

You can then create the Timelapse in Photoshop, which is what I usually do.

That's how I loaded them in layers but the align option did not work.
PhilCreed 2.62
· 
Following this closely.  I took images ranging from 1/4000-sec to 1/4-sec, though 1/20-sec was max usable before the thin cirrus scatters too much of the outer corona.

Looking to make an HDR composite or at least bring out more of the corona using either PixInsight or GIMP.  Would FFT be the way to go in Pix?  What's the soup-to-nuts workflow for this?

Clear Skies,
Phil
HegAstro 11.91
· 
I don't think PI is the right tool for the alignment. The method I used for alignment was in PS where you load the files as layers and align them manually. You will find, as I noted above, that the apparent size of the Moon/Sun is larger for brighter images, I think due to saturation of regions of the near corona. You can live with this or resize those images using the Transform tool (center the Sun/Moon best you can against the darker images before resizing). Then vary the opacity of each layer till you get the result you want. The layers can then be combined and subsequent editing done either directly in PS or saved as TIFF and edited in PI or other software.  This is my result. I didn't bother to resize the images, just centered them:

https://astrob.in/g4vj2s/
PhilCreed 2.62
· 
Arun H:
I don't think PI is the right tool for the alignment. The method I used for alignment was in PS where you load the files as layers and align them manually. You will find, as I noted above, that the apparent size of the Moon/Sun is larger for brighter images, I think due to saturation of regions of the near corona. You can live with this or resize those images using the Transform tool (center the Sun/Moon best you can against the darker images before resizing). Then vary the opacity of each layer till you get the result you want. The layers can then be combined and subsequent editing done either directly in PS or saved as TIFF and edited in PI or other software.  This is my result. I didn't bother to resize the images, just centered them:

Don't have PS.  Can this be done in GIMP?

Clear Skies,
Phil
HegAstro 11.91
· 
Phil Creed:
Arun H:

Clear Skies,
Phil

I have never used GIMP, so no idea.
PhilCreed 2.62
· 
Arun H:
Phil Creed:
Arun H:

Clear Skies,
Phil

Dumb question, but how is the alignment process done in PS?  I'm assuming something similar in GIMP; just have zero experience using PS and am not a fan of paying indefinite subscriptions.

Are there any YouTube videos for how this is done?

Clear Skies,
Phil
HegAstro 11.91
· 
·  1 like
Phil Creed:

Here is one. There are many others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pnV7VP6Oaw
jonpauls 0.00
· 
FFTRegistration didn't work for me. You might want to try Autostakkert, as others have said. You can also use "Rulers" in Photoshop and align each of your 33 photos that way. Then use the Move tool and/or your keyboard arrow keys. Kind of a crude way to do it but it's worth a try.
Ericwillis 0.00
· 
I will echo others responses that FFTRegistration did not work well for me either, especially the frames close to totality.  I ended up going layer by layer in photoshop and using the difference blend mode to line up each frame along the limb of the sun.

Before you go to the effort of manually aligning each frame, I would recommend doing a batch linear fit.  I made the mistake of spending a few hours painfully lining up the frames only to realize the passing clouds had a pretty noticeable effect on exposure of random frames.
pfile 1.81
· 
yeah - i've only used FFTRegistration on partial eclipse images. i'm not surprised it would fail to register stuff near totality. for totality i manually aligned the 2017 images using DynamicAlignment as there were 2 stars in the background i could use as a handle. of course the sun doesnt move at sidereal rate so it's slightly imprecise, but it was close enough.
EricGagne 1.51
· 
Phil Creed:
Arun H:
Phil Creed:
Arun H:

Clear Skies,
Phil

Dumb question, but how is the alignment process done in PS?  I'm assuming something similar in GIMP; just have zero experience using PS and am not a fan of paying indefinite subscriptions.

Clear Skies,
Phil

You need to have all your images as layers in the same workspace and in the order of which you took them, the first one being at the back and the last one at the front.

Then you make all your layers invisible except for the first one....the one at the back.

After that, for each layer you do the following

- make it visible
- change its opacity so you can see the image below through it
- click and drag that layer to align the sun with the image behind it.
- set the layer opacity back to 100%
- make the layer invisible 

Once you've done that to all the layers you can export each one as a separate image. 

PS has 2 nice features.  When you crop it crops all the layers at once so it's quite easy to make them exactly the same size.  It also allows you to export all your layers at once.

That's how I did it in PS.  I don't know how/if the same can be done in Gimp
Edited ...
PhilCreed 2.62
· 
In the end I tried the FFT Registration in Pix, kicked it back to GIMP to darken the moon to match the visual appearance, then back in to Pix for Larson-Sekanina.  That last step REALLY helped.   I used a strength of 0.36, otherwise default settings.

I just uploaded the result of 11 integrated frames from 1/2500-sec to 1/40-sec onto Astrobin:

https://www.astrobin.com/vkzvi1/

There are certainly better HDR shots out there, but I was amazed I could get ANYTHING out of this given the cirrus clouds.

Clear Skies,
Phil
RogerN123456 4.57
· 
PIPP should be able to do this:  https://pipp.software.informer.com/

Register or login to create to post a reply.