Far fewer 1.25” Narrowband Filters (Dual & Multi)? Generic equipment discussions · Vinny Vent · ... · 6 · 95 · 0

Vinnyvent84 0.00
· 
Hey all. Is it me or is the offerings for many filters, especially narrow bands of all variants far fewer in the 1.25 size? For example of the few SII / OIII dual narrowband filters I don’t see any at 1.25. All of the ASKAR Color magic choices seem to be 2” as well in addition to the Antlia Quad band. Is it me and I just am not looking correctly or enough or am I pretty much right in this?
messierman3000 4.02
· 
well there is a few here https://agenaastro.com/optical-accessories/filters/narrowband-imaging-filter/shopby/1_25_inch-idas_filters-zwo_astronomy_cameras-optolong.html?stock=1

I'll look in FLO and HPS too
messierman3000 4.02
· 
HPS has a few more, but they're crappy beginner's light pollution filters
messierman3000 4.02
· 
so I think you're right; there are more dual/multiband imaging filters for 2 inch mounted format, than for 1.25.

but the 1.25 L-extreme is a good filter
Vinnyvent84 0.00
· 
·  1 like
so I think you're right; there are more dual/multiband imaging filters for 2 inch mounted format, than for 1.25.

but the 1.25 L-extreme is a good filter

thanks for looking. Optolong does seem to be probably the best in terms of making them in both size formats. What remains completely elusive is an SII / OIII dual NB in the 1.25 format. I wanted to purchase a ZWO filter wheel. I much prefer the smaller format of the mini as I’m fine with just the 5 spaces at the moment. But if my choices will be much more limited in the 1.25 size I feel I am sort of being nudged into the 2” format for the filter wheel.
messierman3000 4.02
· 
you can still use a single band SII 1.25 inch filter with a color camera

or you can instead use the 2 inch format dual band filters

but if you are not gonna fill in all slots of the filter wheel, I suggest you read all about this first or I'm gonna feel guilty for not warning you https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/equipment-forums/zwo-efw-7-x-2/zwo-filter-wheel-not-holding-center-position-during-imaging/

that's for the 7x2; maybe you wont get this problem with a 5x2.

If you do get imbalance issues, you can try filling the empty slots with dark frame imaging filters.
Edited ...
Vinnyvent84 0.00
· 
·  1 like
you can still use a single band SII 1.25 inch filter with a color camera

or you can instead use the 2 inch format dual band filters

but if you are not gonna fill in all slots of the filter wheel, I suggest you read all about this first or I'm gonna feel guilty for not warning you https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/equipment-forums/zwo-efw-7-x-2/zwo-filter-wheel-not-holding-center-position-during-imaging/

that's for the 7x2; maybe you wont get this problem with a 5x2.

If you do get imbalance issues, you can try filling the empty slots with dark frame imaging filters.

That’s a good heads up thank you! You make a good point. I gravitated to the dual SII / OIII since SII is so weak I would be burning a lot of imaging time for a weak signal - still useful to have though which is why I said if I have the dual at least I’m getting even more OIII. If that makes sense.

Register or login to create to post a reply.