Is a Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 or Tamron equivalent lens good as a starter lens for DSO astrophotography? Camera Lens Astrophotography · evacguy · ... · 7 · 199 · 0

evacguy 0.00
· 
Hi everyone, I'm an newbie interested in astrophotography, but also day-time photography.  I've just bought a Sony A7iv (full-frame mirrorless) camera for both and have a Sony FE G 50mm F2.5 lens.  I'm currently shooting untracked to get experience finding objects and post-processing.  I would like to purchase a longer lens that I can use for both astro and day-time photography.  My intended targets are the likes of Orion nebula, Andromeda Galaxy, etc. 

I was originally thinking of a Samyang 135mm F2 (about UK£500) but given that it is fully manual it is not going to be ideal for day-time applications. So I am currently thinking of the following options:
(1) Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 (II) (UK£2500)
(2) Sony FE 70-200mm F4 (UK£1100)
(3) Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 G2 (UK£1200)

I know that there is a significant price difference between these lenses and between these lenses and the Samyang 135mm, but that is not my primary consideration, I'm looking for a lens that is going to be very good for both astro and daytime photography.  My plan is to continue shooting untracked for a while and eventually move onto tracked DSO astrophotography using my camera and selected lens.

So my questions are:
`1) Are any of these lenses good for DSO astro?
2) As far as DSO astro images are concerned, which of these lenses produce the best quality images?
3) How do they compare with the SAMYANG 135mm for DSO astrophotography?  Excluding cost issues, are these lenses significantly better than the Samyang 135mm?  Is the extra 65mm bought at the expense of image quality?
4) How do the DSO images produced by these lenses compare with the REDCAT 51 (F4.9, 250mm at UK£700)? 
5) Is it worth considering adding a 2.0X teleconverter to (1), making it an F5.6 400mm?   If so, how would this compare to a REDCAT 71 (F4.9, 350mm at UK£1599).

Please don't simply reply by saying get the REDCAT or some other telescope, that is not the question, I want my investment to work for both astro and day photograph, so I'd like to know how much image quality (if any) am I sacrificing by getting the camera lens compared to the roughly equivalent telescope.
Edited ...
WolfHeart 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
I am a Nikon shooter and I use several dslrs and mirrorless cameras. I would say the advantage of the Samyang is star shapes, color and light gathering ability!
Also know that a Samyang 135mm will perform better untracked! The longer the focal distance the tougher it gets in terms of exposures time and finding targets (untracked with a 200mm means you'll have to reframe and re-center your target every 10-15 min). Also the 135mm is great for mosaics! You cant go wrong with a Rokinon/Samyang 135mm! 

My experience with teleconverters is terrible it softens the images.  2X are the worst, 1.4 are better in terms of sharpness!
evacguy 0.00
· 
Ahmed Waddah:
I am a Nikon shooter and I use several dslrs and mirrorless cameras. I would say the advantage of the Samyang is star shapes, color and light gathering ability!
Also know that a Samyang 135mm will perform better untracked! The longer the focal distance the tougher it gets in terms of exposures time and finding targets (untracked with a 200mm means you'll have to reframe and re-center your target every 10-15 min). Also the 135mm is great for mosaics! You cant go wrong with a Rokinon/Samyang 135mm! 

My experience with teleconverters is terrible it softens the images.  2X are the worst, 1.4 are better in terms of sharpness!

Thanks Ahmed, I appreciate your insights, in particluar your first and last sentences.  So you are suggesting that for DSO photography, the Samyang produces better quality star images than the 70-200mm F2.8 lens, so the extra 65mm reach is not worth it.  Also, that the 2x teleconverters compromises too much on image sharpness, so again, not worth the investment.  I was concerned about both issues, your experience appears to confirm it.  It would be really great if there were some comparison examples of DSO images from the 70-200mm F2.8 lens Vs Samyang 135mm F2 lens.  Are there any on this site?
GernotSchreider 4.72
· 
·  1 like
Hi evacguy

you can just use the search function to find pictures taken with the resp gear. Just type in the gear you are searching for.

Regarding your question, if you want to compare foto lenses with the same fl and aperture (and weight) it is just a matter of their optical quality. So just use the well known sources to find out about the optical quality, like DxOmark, dpreview etc.

CS
Gernot
OriginalJoie 0.00
· 
I shoot with a canon EOS Ra but I don't think the glass is any different in the Tamron lenses between manufacturer specific mounts so it should still be a good comparison.

This was shot with the 70-200 and a Tamron 2X teleconverter for an equivalent 400mm f5.6 keep in mind I'm just starting out so my focus and processing skills need lots of work.

M31 January 23rd 2021 ( OriginalJoie ) - AstroBin

That's the only photo I have posted here but I've got several Astrophotos on my Instagram, same as my username here, and some non astrophoto's taken with the Tamron 70-200, some with the 2x teleconverter some without.  All in all I'm very happy with the lens it was a couple hundred dollar's cheaper than the Canon version and I can't imagine I would be any happier had I bought the Canon version.

I'm happy enough hat I'll probably pick up the Tamron 150-600 G2 in the near future.

Regards,
Joie
evacguy 0.00
· 
I shoot with a canon EOS Ra but I don't think the glass is any different in the Tamron lenses between manufacturer specific mounts so it should still be a good comparison.

This was shot with the 70-200 and a Tamron 2X teleconverter for an equivalent 400mm f5.6 keep in mind I'm just starting out so my focus and processing skills need lots of work.

M31 January 23rd 2021 ( OriginalJoie ) - AstroBin

That's the only photo I have posted here but I've got several Astrophotos on my Instagram, same as my username here, and some non astrophoto's taken with the Tamron 70-200, some with the 2x teleconverter some without.  All in all I'm very happy with the lens it was a couple hundred dollar's cheaper than the Canon version and I can't imagine I would be any happier had I bought the Canon version.

I'm happy enough hat I'll probably pick up the Tamron 150-600 G2 in the near future.

Regards,
Joie

Hi Joie, many thanks for the information and the image.  That is really useful and I've visited you instagram page.  Some really nice photopgraphs there.  Are all the asto images on your instagram taken with the 70-200mm with 2x teleconverter?  The Orion shot looks great, and some of the moon shots are really good.

Thanks again for your advice.
WolfHeart 0.90
· 
Dont forget with a teleconverter you are losing f/stops.

Usually image quality is better with cropped sensor cameras! 

You can check lenstip.com for lens 

https://www.lenstip.com/lenses.html

For example this is the lens I started with:

https://www.lenstip.com/258.7-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_70-200_mm_f_2.8G_ED_VR_II_Coma_and_astigmatism.html
OriginalJoie 0.00
· 
Thanks for the kind words, EvacGuy

On my Instagram in the description, I usually #Tamron if it's taken with the Tamron lens and if the focal length is over 200mm then I was using the teleconverter if it is 200 or less, I was not using the teleconverter.

Ahmed is correct the 2x teleconverter makes the lens a 140-400 f5.6 however I have noticed no degradation in image quality using it, maybe because it is the Tamron model designed for their lenses.  I own several crop sensor cameras and I would much rather have a quality teleconverter and full frame sensor then a crop sensor and no teleconverter, but that is just personal preference I have no real data to say one is better/worse than the other.

Also, some, if not most, of those Moon photos were taken handheld using the Tamron's built in lens stabilization, VC they call it.    Some of them are #Handheld but not all of them because sometimes I forgot to tag them as such.  I'm really impressed with how well the VC works as I am not the steadiest hands around.

Regards,
Joie

Register or login to create to post a reply.