Camera failing to download ZWO ASI2600MC Pro · IrishAstro4484 · ... · 49 · 1682 · 0

Tapfret 4.95
· 
·  2 likes
Rumi:
Been there with the 2600MCPro. I did most everything discussed above. And yes, it was also dropping with Sharpcap. 

What fixed my problem was the GAUGE of the 12v power supply.  I forget the tables I looked it up on, but I had to buy a 16 AWG cable and have never once had the camera drop since—using both NINA and Sharpcap. 

Good luck!

Rumi

Interesting. This post had me running in to verify and yes, the cable on the PS I purchased for the 2600MCPro is 16 AWG.

Which brings to mind the irritation I had with ZWO straight out of the box. No power supply.  Perhaps ZWO could avoid some negative perceptions by including a power supply/cable (properly gauged), instead of expecting end users who are going to come with all sorts of variants in quality of power supplies/cables. I saw a review of the $14,800 asi461mm and apparently they don't even supply one with that. Just bush league.
Edited ...
AstroDoc 1.20
· 
·  3 likes
If you’re using ascom drivers, set the usb speed to the slowest speed in the driver settings, I think that solved issues with downloading frames when I used APT.
Edited ...
IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
·  2 likes
Brian Meyerberg:
If you’re using ascom drivers, set the usb speed to the slowest speed in the driver settings, I think that solved issues with downloading frames when I used APT.

*** Yes, I'm using ASCOM. I'll give that a go. Thanks Brian ***
PABresler 0.00
· 
I have the same problem with my zwo1600.pro.  QHY is better.

Peter
springerdingding 2.71
· 
I've not long received the Risingcam IMX571 and also have the same issue regarding frozen downloads in NINA so I'll be eagerly following this thread. Trying to find the time to replicate the fault but currently imaging so that can wait for tonight

I am connected via a Pegasus Power box Advance v2.

I never experienced this at all with an ASI533MC Pro on the exact same set up.

I have most commonly found it occurs during at the beginning of the NINA Flats Wizard calibration. I'm not suggesting there is any difference to the process for the Flat Wizard within NINA but more likely power considering I was cooling immediately prior and adding the load of the flat panel to the Power box may be detrimental. I am using the stock DC leads provided by Pegasus.

Appreciate I haven't contributed much towards a solution here but seeing the same across different IMX571 builds leaves me hopeful that this can be narrowed down to being prevented with simple good practices
AstroDoc 1.20
· 
Brian Meyerberg:

*** let me know if it works for you ***
IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
Brian Meyerberg:
Brian Meyerberg:

*** let me know if it works for you ***

*** Will do. Thanks Brian! I've actually updated the ASCOM drivers and I'll update the camera firmware if I can too so check/reset the speed as well.

When I get home from work this evening I'll start running darks and see how I get on. 

IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
Steve:
I've not long received the Risingcam IMX571 and also have the same issue regarding frozen downloads in NINA so I'll be eagerly following this thread. Trying to find the time to replicate the fault but currently imaging so that can wait for tonight

I am connected via a Pegasus Power box Advance v2.

I never experienced this at all with an ASI533MC Pro on the exact same set up.

I have most commonly found it occurs during at the beginning of the NINA Flats Wizard calibration. I'm not suggesting there is any difference to the process for the Flat Wizard within NINA but more likely power considering I was cooling immediately prior and adding the load of the flat panel to the Power box may be detrimental. I am using the stock DC leads provided by Pegasus.

Appreciate I haven't contributed much towards a solution here but seeing the same across different IMX571 builds leaves me hopeful that this can be narrowed down to being prevented with simple good practices

*** I've contacted ZWO and their advise was to try different ports/software programs/computers and check the power to the camera. Not particularly helpful but I'll dig out the logs and send to them.

It does appear to be a power issue. I'm sure when the the cooler power is too high that this issue kicks in.

I've heard some very useful discussions about how the USB3 connection can't supply enough power during imaging and so the cooler supplies some of the power. If that's true then is somewhat accords with what I've seen.

I've also updated the ASCOM drivers and I'll try update the camera firmware. 

Cables also appear to be a factor based on some of the comments Ive seen online.

I'll start running darks this evening to see if I can replicate the problem.

I really like my setup and enjoy using Stellarium/NINA/PHD2. If I can get the camera working reliably in the long term I'm in business!

PABresler 0.00
· 
Brian, 

Any interest in trading remote imaging time with me in California? 

[email protected]
ChrisBrady62@gmail.com 0.00
· 
·  1 like
Just to add to the weirdness of these issues…

I also recall that the 2600MCPro would not drop with short exposures, but only beyond some threshold of something like 30 seconds.  So if you’re running darks to test, do at least 60s to properly test that aspect. 

Cheers
 Rumi
Overcast_Observatory 20.43
· 
Usb3 is not a very robust connection choice. Switching to usb2 cures most download issues. Unless you are doing video or luckybinaging there is not much benefit to using usb3. 

I've had failure to download problems with both zwo and qhy using usb3 on multiple PCs over the years. All my problems resolved when I switched to USB 2.
AstroDoc 1.20
· 
·  1 like
Chris White- Overcast Observatory:
Usb3 is not a very robust connection choice. Switching to usb2 cures most download issues. Unless you are doing video or luckybinaging there is not much benefit to using usb3. 

I've had failure to download problems with both zwo and qhy using usb3 on multiple PCs over the years. All my problems resolved when I switched to USB 2.

*** I currently have 3 cameras, asi2600mm asi2600mc asi294mm, no download issues with usb3, and cooling down -20c, I’m pretty sure you have to set the usb download speed to the lowest setting in the ascom driver. I had that issue when I first started this hobby until I read somewhere online to lower the usb speed in the ascom driver. Never had the problem since with 4 cameras using both NINA and APT.***
AstroDoc 1.20
· 
Peter Bresler:
Brian, 

Any interest in trading remote imaging time with me in California? 

[email protected]

*** If I’m the Brian you’re asking, I keep my equipment indoors, no dome. The weather here in NJ has been terrible for the past 6 months or more. Very cloudy nights. Thanks for the offer though 😊***
IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
·  1 like

*** Thanks Chris. I've heard that mentioned a few times. 

I guess it only really matters if you need a high frame rate for short exposure planetary imaging? So there is otherwise no impact on Deep space imaging by using USB2? My exposures will typically be 2mins to 7-8 minutes depending on the target. 

Any idea why USB3 is so unreliable? I'm buying new cables in any case because they are too long for my setup. I want to mount my mini PC on the telescope and sort out my cable management but the cables ZWO supply don't appear to be great quality either.

IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
·  1 like
Brian Meyerberg:

*** I currently have 3 cameras, asi2600mm asi2600mc asi294mm, no download issues with usb3, and cooling down -20c, I’m pretty sure you have to set the usb download speed to the lowest setting in the ascom driver. I had that issue when I first started this hobby until I read somewhere online to lower the usb speed in the ascom driver. Never had the problem since with 4 cameras using both NINA and APT.***

*** That's very encouraging. I'll def try that 👌

If that's the fix then ZWO really need to sort out their documentation 🙄

IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
·  1 like
Brian Meyerberg:

*** I checked and it was set to the lowest speed.

I actually changed to a USB 2 cable last night and had no issues but I'll do further testing. 

I want to make sure that the camera isnt going to crap itself in the longer terms so I'll do plenty of long exposures with with the cooler on a demanding setting (80-90%) to see if I have any issues. 

AstroDoc 1.20
· 
Brian Meyerberg:

I actually changed to a USB 2 cable last night and had no issues but I'll do further testing. 

I want to make sure that the camera isnt going to crap itself in the longer terms so I'll do plenty of long exposures with with the cooler on a demanding setting (80-90%) to see if I have any issues. 

*** I’m glad USB2 is working for you hopefully. Have you tried plugging the usb 3 from the camera directly into your computer and not into the powerbox?  I used to use a powerbox and I think I had issues with the asi2600 until I connected the camera directly into the blue powered USB 3 port of the laptop, worth a try.***
Edited ...
Overcast_Observatory 20.43
· 

I guess it only really matters if you need a high frame rate for short exposure planetary imaging? So there is otherwise no impact on Deep space imaging by using USB2? My exposures will typically be 2mins to 7-8 minutes depending on the target. 

Any idea why USB3 is so unreliable? I'm buying new cables in any case because they are too long for my setup. I want to mount my mini PC on the telescope and sort out my cable management but the cables ZWO supply don't appear to be great quality either.

No idea why.  Someone with an understanding of the technology might chime in .  For some reason many users have download issues with USB 3.  Better cables help. shorter cables help, throttling the speed helps, but sometimes it just doesnt work.  I dont know if the limitation is on the computer side.  Perhaps the ports or internal hubs can have issues.  So it might be a case by case thing.  Astro forums have tons of reports of people having download issues.  I never had download issues with my cameras before using USB3.  My CCD's never once had an issue, and now that I use USB 2 cables I have never once had an issue.  I've used about 10 cameras across ZWO and QHY and the common theme I have for reliability is USB2.   I'd give it a try if you continue to have issues or if you intend to setup unattended imaging.  With video and lucky imaging you are likely to be present to see if there is an issue.  I sleep through the majority of my imaging run so reliability is most important.
PABresler 0.00
· 
I seem to have pretty good luck with these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I83XF76?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
·  1 like

No idea why.  Someone with an understanding of the technology might chime in .  For some reason many users have download issues with USB 3.  Better cables help. shorter cables help, throttling the speed helps, but sometimes it just doesnt work.  I dont know if the limitation is on the computer side.  Perhaps the ports or internal hubs can have issues.  So it might be a case by case thing.  Astro forums have tons of reports of people having download issues.  I never had download issues with my cameras before using USB3.  My CCD's never once had an issue, and now that I use USB 2 cables I have never once had an issue.  I've used about 10 cameras across ZWO and QHY and the common theme I have for reliability is USB2.   I'd give it a try if you continue to have issues or if you intend to setup unattended imaging.  With video and lucky imaging you are likely to be present to see if there is an issue.  I sleep through the majority of my imaging run so reliability is most important.

*** Ye, Ive heard all of that; Better cables/shorter cables/reducing the speed/not connecting into a hub... While I do enjoy some of the technical challenges and learning involved in astroimaging, it's fair to say that troubleshooting cable and power issues isn't one of them. I just want it to work. 

If USB2 fixes it, then I'll go with that work around 👌

Similarly I need confidence in my setup so I can sleep. When it's tried and tested and works consistently I'll have more confidence it letting it run by itself so I can go to bed and not be a zombie in work the next day lol

IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
Brian Meyerberg:
Brian Meyerberg:

*** I’m glad USB2 is working for you hopefully. Have you tried plugging the usb 3 from the camera directly into your computer and not into the powerbox?  I used to use a powerbox and I think I had issues with the asi2600 until I connected the camera directly into the blue powered USB 3 port of the laptop, worth a try.***

*** Not yet but I'll try that. I've ordered new cables and I intend on mounting my mini PC on the scope so It shouldn't be a problem directly connecting to that. ***
IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
Peter Bresler:
I seem to have pretty good luck with these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I83XF76?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

*** I can't actually see that for some reason. Probably because I'm in a different country. ***
jcoldrey 3.35
· 

Hi Rob.

From memory, I think USB2 computer ports provide 5v @ 500mA, whereas USB3 ports only provide 5v @ 150mA.

I have a 2600mm Pro and a 2600mc Pro, and the first few times I used the 2600mc Pro I encountered problems similar to yours (cooling fan cutting in/out, wild temperature swings, downloads sometimes not working, some frames having large dark current, etc). After much experimenting, it became apparent that insufficient power was my problem (confirmed by connecting a dedicated power supply). I resolved the problem by upgrading my 12v power supply from 5A to good quality 10A supply and making up a new snug fitting power cable with a 5.5*2.1mm male plug. 

USB3 works fine for me when cabled directly to a USB3 port on my PC (ie. no hub involved).
Not sure why neither camera works via USB3 hub ... but I suspect it's something timing/latency related.
Whereas USB2 work always (albeit slower), including via USB hubs.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jeff
IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
Kevin Osborn:
Mine does that from time to time and for me, it's always related to power.

Kevin

*** Turns out it was the camera cooler cable causing issues. I noticed the fan knocking on and off when I accidentally touched the dv cable.

Replaced the cable and that appears to have resolved it (fingers crossed).

​​​​

IrishAstro4484 5.96
· 
·  2 likes
Jeff Coldrey:

Hi Rob.

From memory, I think USB2 computer ports provide 5v @ 500mA, whereas USB3 ports only provide 5v @ 150mA.

I have a 2600mm Pro and a 2600mc Pro, and the first few times I used the 2600mc Pro I encountered problems similar to yours (cooling fan cutting in/out, wild temperature swings, downloads sometimes not working, some frames having large dark current, etc). After much experimenting, it became apparent that insufficient power was my problem (confirmed by connecting a dedicated power supply). I resolved the problem by upgrading my 12v power supply from 5A to good quality 10A supply and making up a new snug fitting power cable with a 5.5*2.1mm male plug. 

USB3 works fine for me when cabled directly to a USB3 port on my PC (ie. no hub involved).
Not sure why neither camera works via USB3 hub ... but I suspect it's something timing/latency related.
Whereas USB2 work always (albeit slower), including via USB hubs.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jeff

*** I think in the end the problem was actually caused by a faulty cooler fan cable! I noticed last night when I touched the cable that the fan was switching on and off and when I replaced the cable the problem appears to have been resolved. I'm hoping that's the end of the download issues! 

I purchased new shorter USB2 and USB3 cables in any case. They should be higher quality and more robust than the crap cables ZWO includes as standard. It's also very nicely cleaned up my cable management too.

I could be wrong but from what I've seen online USB3 actually supplies more power than USB2 but I've heard comments about how the camera can still connect via USB2 (over the USB3 cable)... I wonder if that leads to power instability if it's switching between protocols? (Perhaps due to driver or powerbox/hub issues).

Regardless, Ive taken on board the advice from several people. I'm connecting the camera directly into the mini PC and invested in shorter more robust USB cables. Hoping that resolves the download issue in the long run.

I also haven't been using the Pegasus powerbox software much but it should be able to report on the power drawn by the DC ports over time so that should help with fault finding power issues in figure. I'll look into that further.

Register or login to create to post a reply.