As if Elon Musk wasn't bad enough, but now Amazon is getting in on the Act!!!! Anything goes · Carastro · ... · 8 · 506 · 0

carastro 8.04
Amazon gets green-light to blow $10bn on 3,000+ internet satellites.
All so Americans can shop more on Amazon

Amazon got the stamp of approval this week from America's communications watchdog to operate thousands of internet-relaying satellites into low Earth orbit.

When exactly they will launch hasn’t been set. In fact, the design of the metallic birds are yet to be finalized, according to a report by the FCC. Still, Amazon hopes to deploy 3,236 of the satellites, under the banner Project Kuiper and at a cost of $10bn, to deliver internet connectivity to hard-to-reach areas in the US. The birds will go up in five batches, the first containing 578 sats at which point the service will be switched on.

More: https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/01/amazon_to_fly_578_satellites/
Douwe79 0.90
I don’t quite like that they gave a scientific name (Kuiper) to a commercial project. Surely it helps people in remote areas, but it’s still commerce. By the way, until now I haven’t seen any of the Star Link satellites from Elon Musk, even though I am outside/imagining a few time per months. I do see other (single) satellites and ISS. Is it strange that I haven’t seen them until now? Cheers
Billshaun 0.00
I don’t quite like that they gave a scientific name (Kuiper) to a commercial project. Surely it helps people in remote areas, but it’s still commerce. By the way, until now I haven’t seen any of the Star Link satellites from Elon Musk, even though I am outside/imagining a few time per months. I do see other (single) satellites and ISS. Is it strange that I haven’t seen them until now? Cheers

I haven't seen any either. They may orbit at a lower latitude than they had 4/5 months ago?
Okke_Dillen 0.00
Hi,

"people in remote places" typically have other priorities than an internet connection. E.g. water, food, ...
And, it's not about internet for the poor and remote places on earth! This is just the "fig leaf".
It's all about milliseconds advantage on high speed stock exchange (money from nothing) and profit on world currency discrepancies. This should be prohibited anyway!!

Btw: the first communication test at all on Starstink... uhm... StarLink, of course... was performed by US airforce.... Honi soit qui mal y pense...
What will other super powers aim at? Internet for their remote areas? Hahaha.... Oh, they do have remote areas, yes indeed, they do...

Think one step ahead: guess what China and Russia think about this and how they would bring their interest into the game.... India.... Emirates....

I expect some 200'000 items in LEO within the next decade. Let me deviate and adapt  JFK's famous words a bit "...not because it is easy, but, because it is maximally stupid!" (which seems to be THEE basic skill of menkind...)

At this point, I really hope for Kessler, the sooner, the better!

For those who don't see them: look to the sky longer than ten seconds AFTER NOT HAVING CHECKED YOUR CELL PHONE for 20 minutes at least! (dark adaption of eyes). It is full up there! The times when I had just a few satellite traces in my DS images - if any - removed by rejection algorithms, are OVER!! A minimum number of TEN at least populate my recent rejection map images! Each and every photo session. How do I know it's Starstink? Oh, that's easy, they all fly in the same direction and their traces are equally long ;) In near future we will "enjoy" them criss-crossing in the rejection map images. Oh, and live-view with the unaided eye, of course! Again, keep your eyes away from ANY display at all for at least 20 minutes.

IF you live closer to the equator, it's harder to see them. If you live closer to the poles, it gets easier every degree you're closer to the poles. So, if you don't see them, consider moving more towards the poles, it doesn't have to be much. Half way is way enough.

Currently "only" some 500 have been launched, and we see them already regularely from now on. This is by far not 12'000! Not even speaking of 42'000.....

What makes me wonder most, is, that E.M. is about to blow-up the only road he wants to use to get to Mars... >_<

Cheers
Okke
astropical
They need 3,236 satellites to cover the US? Space is already overcrowded in that the Orange Utan can forget his "Space Force". Billionaire Jeff Bezos is the richest man on this already money-polluted planet thanks to Amazon's top ranking as labor exploiter, unpunished, scott-free. Wondering whether Alibaba would need less satellites to cover China's rural areas. Anyway, HegeMoney, exploitation, crime and corruption rules the world. Sorry, folks, but it is... frankly... disgusting.
Edited ...
macnenia 4.85
Let's hope a few of them run into each other and create a shower of debris that will take them all down. Like the movie Gravity. That would probably confine humans to our mote of dust for a few thousand years, but it would be worth it.
Think of this, all you who post your images on this site. You are going to have multiple satellite tracks across practically every sub, all in the cause of making some rich Americans richer. Image whilst you can. Then we need a Class Action to recompense us for all the money we've spent on a hobby we can no longer pursue.
Themainsandwich 0.00
do you guys follow space stuff if they crashed into eachother kessler syndrome would ensue and would litteraly destory every sattelite and fill the sky worse than it is now plus if you guys actually followed space stuff elon is building the satellites with shades so that they don't reflect light to earth and that wouldn't mess up your long exposure shots if it covered the star or whatever you are looking at for a second
battleriverobservatory 6.06
do you guys follow space stuff if they crashed into eachother kessler syndrome would ensue and would litteraly destory every sattelite and fill the sky worse than it is now plus if you guys actually followed space stuff elon is building the satellites with shades so that they don't reflect light to earth and that wouldn't mess up your long exposure shots if it covered the star or whatever you are looking at for a second

That's not even close to described of what the kessler syndrome is.
The kessler syndrome is a theoretical scenario which theorizes that, each collision increases the liklihood of another collision. Its not a chain effect where one collision sets off another until they are all destroyed.

Register or login to create to post a reply.