Any good book recommendations? Anything goes · starpixels · ... · 31 · 1624 · 0

rockstarbill 11.02
· 
Burnham's Celestial Handbook, Vol 1-3. Probably the best reference books to have on hand.
1white2green.3blue+4yellow-5purple_ 0.90
· 
It's true, and I would say, Robert Burnham Jr. could have created a series of eighty eight books, each one of these books describing one of the I.A.U.'s 88 constellations. Alas, Burnham was not a business man, and he seems to have been very shy (much too gentle to cope with the harsh facts of life). And to make things much more... say... hopeless, his name was erroneously mix'd up with another Robert Burnham, the editor of the monthly magazine ASTRONOMY. There were plans to change his name to Robert Bernheim, but it never happened. See Wikipedia article Robert Burnham Jr.

What I like very much of Burnham's Celestial Handbook is what he (Burnham) wrote on pages 1625 and 1626, about the meaning of the Japanese word Sabi.
See also Wikipedia: Wabi-sabi
Edited ...
rockstarbill 11.02
· 
Danny Caes:
It's true, and I would say, Robert Burnham Jr. could have created a series of eighty eight books, each one of these books describing one of the I.A.U.'s 88 constellations. Alas, Burnham was not a business man, and he seems to have been very shy (much too gentle to cope with the harsh facts of life). And to make things much more... say... hopeless, his name was erroneously mix'd up with another Robert Burnham, the editor of the monthly magazine ASTRONOMY. There were plans to change his name to Robert Bernheim, but it never happened. See Wikipedia article Robert Burnham Jr.

What I like very much of Burnham's Celestial Handbook is what he (Burnham) wrote on pages 1625 and 1626, about the meaning of the Japanese word Sabi.

His writing for the Eagle Nebula/Star Queen is very enjoyable as well.
1white2green.3blue+4yellow-5purple_ 0.90
· 
By the way, I don't know if it is still online: in may 2003 a certain Christof Plicht and Arndt Latusseck created an alphabetic gazetteer of all the names of persons mentioned in all three volumes of Burnham's Celestial Handbook (because: there is no such index in Burnham's). I (myself) invented a new hobby by marking all the mentioned names with fluorescent yellow marker, such as in Burnham's. I did this in many more books (only in those without index of the mentioned people), for example: T.W.Webb's Celestial Objects for Common Telescopes, Volume 2: The Stars. An extraordinary large number of very obscure astronomers shows up after days (nay: weeks) of marking their names!
WARNING: the yellow stripes of some fluorescent markers don't stay brightly fluorescent! They gradually turn into a dirty looking sort of orange-ish yellow (without fluorescence).
Edited ...
avdhoeven 2.41
· 
The book I wrote myself Treasures of the universe.

There are two nice reviews here:

https://www.space.com/32985-astrophotography-book-treasures-of-universe.html

https://www.universetoday.com/127836/astrophotography-book-review-treasures-universe/

The book can be ordered via this website: http://www.astro-photo.nl
Bill_Becher 0.00
· 
On the processing side I have "The Deep Sky Imaging Primer"

You have the best and most up-to-date book on astrophotography IMNHO. Inside PixInsight 2nd by Warren Keller is a great reference but a bit out of date. Keller says there will be not 3rd edition as PixInsight is going through so many frequent changes. His group and website masters of PixInsight are the next go-to if you are using PixInsight. Telescopius is a great way to plan imaging sessions. Clear Outside Forecasts for Astronomers and Astronomy Tools are also useful. 

If you want to learn more basic astronomy I suggest you get a college level text like  https://assets.openstax.org/oscms-prodcms/media/documents/Astronomy-OP_zItt6LJ.pdf?
TimHoltUK 0.00
· 
I also started off with The Deep Sky Imaging Primer - a really great book. If you are using PixInsight and need a bit more detail, then the next step is to get hold of 'Inside PixInsight' by Warren Keller: Inside PixInsight Book (Second Edition) | First Light Optics
Oops - I see already mentioned above. I've found it really useful.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.