How important is experiencing the night sky to you astrophotographers? Other · kuechlew · ... · 22 · 1570 · 0

This topic contains a poll.
How important is experiencing the night sky to your hobby?
I don't care. I'm mainly interested in the images of my target.
I only care about the night sky if there is a special event like an ISS transit. Otherwise it's all about imaging.
As a beginner I was fascinated by the night sky but after many imaging sessions I lost interest and now I'm focusing on collecting data.
I enjoy looking at the night sky somewhat but it's not too important to me
I like to spend time under a nice night sky, but wouldn't do it without serious chances to get good images.
I love it a lot even if chances to get good images may be slim.
It's the main motivation for my hobby. Taking nice images is just a welcome side-product.
It depends on the situation. Sometimes I just care about taking images, sometimes the night sky is more important to me.
kuechlew 7.75
· 
·  1 like
Automated setups allow for imaging while taking care about other things. They allow us to "harvest" data without much of a connection to the night sky. I would be interested to hear how important it is to you to experience the night sky.

<coming out>
I became quite frustrated the last months when I didn't make much progress getting started with the hobby. What kept me going was the endless amount of interesting facts one can learn about the objects on the night sky and to a large extent the experience to just spend a night under the stars, even when some clouds roll in. I "fear" I'm turning into a visual astronomer before I even get started with astro photography. I even just ordered an EAA device to make better use of nights with only small periods without clouds. 
</coming out>

Does the fascination for the night sky wear out over the years? Please let me know your opinion.

Clear skies 
Wolfgang
siovene
· 
·  2 likes
I love the night sky, and any time I find myself under a dark night sky (very rarely) it's always a mesmerizing experience.

However, doing this regular to do astrophotography is really not compatible with my lifestyle, as I need my sleep.

This is why when I was still imaging I preferred to do it remotely and automate the process as much as possible.
andymw 11.01
· 
·  1 like
Excluding astrophotography for a moment;  the night sky can mean quite a lot.  A couple of examples:

* I was on holiday with my girlfriend in the Caribbean and we had an argument.  She kicked me out of the hotel and told me to think about what I had said.  I lay back on a rock out in the bay and stared at the milky way on a crystal clear night for a couple of hours before returning.  I proposed the next day and that was over 30 years ago and despite astrophotography we are still together.

* As teenage army cadets we were sent on an escape and evasion exercise in empty farmland in Germany.  At 2am we were exhausted and lay down in a field.  We were welcomed with the most glorious meteor storm.  It's one I will never forget.
Edited ...
andreatax 7.42
· 
·  2 likes
Automated setups allow for imaging while taking care about other things. They allow us to "harvest" data without much of a connection to the night sky. I would be interested to hear how important it is to you to experience the night sky.

<coming out>
I became quite frustrated the last months when I didn't make much progress getting started with the hobby. What kept me going was the endless amount of interesting facts one can learn about the objects on the night sky and to a large extent the experience to just spend a night under the stars, even when some clouds roll in. I "fear" I'm turning into a visual astronomer before I even get started with astro photography. I even just ordered an EAA device to make better use of nights with only small periods without clouds. 
</coming out>

Does the fascination for the night sky wear out over the years? Please let me know your opinion.

Clear skies 
Wolfgang

If I were to live in places like I have been too few times in my life, with unbelievable skies, I'd a LOT less concerned about imaging and a LOT more into pure visual astronomy, or just gazing with the naked eye, like the ancients used to do.
Reg_00 8.02
· 
The sky doesn't do much for me I just want the data. Seeing the Milky Way for the first time was pretty cool but after that.. meh. Let the rig do its thing while I do other things.
HegAstro 11.91
· 
·  1 like
The night sky still captivates me. The sight of the Milky Way from atop a 10000 foot high mountain took my breath away in a way that imaging does not. The same with Comet Neowise and viewing the Moon and planets through a good scope under good conditions. Unfortunately I don’t do that as much as I image.
whwang 11.57
· 
·  4 likes
26 years ago, the experience of looking at the Milky Way center under an incredibly dark sky in Australia became a main driving force of my imaging. The Milky Way looked 3D, because the dark nebulas insideit have different darkness under such clear, transparent sky, and this gives a sense of distance (darker ones are closer, while lighter ones are farther as there are more stars in between). For a long while, my imaging has the goal of producing high-definition images that went way beyond the standard of the time, to reproduce the visual impact that I experienced.

I prioritize imaging. I mainly do portable imaging under dark sky, rather than remote imaging in a room.  So whenever I have a chance, I look up and enjoy the view.  It's inspiring to me.
Robsi 2.33
· 
I like both, observing and imaging. I almost always have two rigs with me, one for imaging, it usualy runs through the night and a second one for observing and imaging too. My favorite nights are when I can see the moon, the planets and deep sky. I don't really care much about the remote thing.
neurosis3000 0.00
· 
·  1 like
They’re not the same thing to me. Photography is data collection and processing and is largely automated. I also enjoy gazing at the night sky. They’re independent of each other to me.
ScottBadger 7.61
· 
·  2 likes
Being outside is the drug for me. I can never get quite enough.....the night sky sucks the daily dregs out of me, clears my head. But as has been mentioned, enjoying a night sky requires a night sky to enjoy, and if I lived where there isn't one, would I still be into AP? Not sure.... It *is* very cool. Amazing and beautiful objects, 30/60/100 million light years away, and images that are also fossils of a sort. What could be cooler? And what could be more frustrating?!?.... Current battle (and I've come to accept there will always be one) is a USB/connection issue that could be the camera, the mount, the laptop, the cable......or maybe it's really a power issue. I guess nothing is free....: )

Cheers,
Scott
danwatt 0.90
· 
·  2 likes
When I started getting into astro I was mostly visual with an 8" dob. Started getting into imaging and while I would often take the dob with me, I didn't spend a whole lot of time with it as the imaging itself was constant babysitting and troubleshooting. This is back in the early DSLR days, started with a Canon 350D. 

With the modern automated sequencing software nowadays (NINA and the like) I have found that once I'm setup for imaging, I really don't have to touch anything all night. And I've found that I am enjoying visual even more than imaging. 

I've gotten myself a 20" dob, nice eyepieces and most importantly, learning the patience to properly do visual astronomy. And it absolutely pays off, I have found myself going on further and further drives to darker and darker sites to get more out of visual observing. And the nice trade off is that the imaging gets even easier with pristine dark skies. 

The biggest thing I've realized is proper visual observing is actually more challenging than imaging.
EdDixonImages 3.10
· 
It depends a lot on location. When at home, the view of the sky is limited to a slice running N to S.  Lots of objects in the way make it harder.  When at a remote site, where the entire sky is fairly visible, it’s better.  As the years tick by (in my 70s now), things like balance become an issue.  On occasions when I have a chair there, it’s good.  In either case I spend most of my time inside, due to weather/temp things.  My setup allows me to do almost everything from inside…in DR at home, or car when remote.
daywalker
· 
I actually like a moon lit night sometimes ...(obviously not for imaging) . Something about being out in the early hours when its dead quiet .I have  a large wooded area behind my garden and my house is at the edge of town  so its quite dark as far as large town skies goes. Makes the glow of the moon quite spectacular.

I do that a fair bit..
Ive always liked the night.
shitijb 0.00
· 
·  1 like
If I may modify the scope of the question a little, here are the things I enjoy about portable imaging over automated imaging (from backyard or remote obsy), that are not all about the night sky:
  1. A chance to get away from everything/everyone on a long drive usually in some scenic remote place
  2. All my go to spots are at least 2 hours away one way and the Pacific northwest only has enough clear nights in a year that drives are not a chore but are rather enjoyable (actually even if the clear nights double, it would still not be a chore for me)
  3. "Free" sunsets/sunrises & moonsets/moonrises in these remote and beautiful places
  4. I have been able to see some memorable ones in the mountains, over rivers, over the ocean, over a cityscape, etc. I like daytime photography too, so this is a bonus.
  5. Seeing unusual meteorites/events
  6. I have vivid memories of seeing 2 extremely bright meteorites (that light up half the sky and make your jaw drop and you scream wow before you can even think) and a few unusual ones, like one having a twin tail. I have seen northern lights completely unexpectedly on 3 occasions while doing astrophotography, and as far south as southern Idaho. Maybe I will see/photograph sprites/TLEs, green & blue flashes, nacreous clouds and more if I keep at it!
  7. "Free" chance to see rare wildlife
  8. I have been able to see cascade foxes and great grey owls when I least expected to. Most wildlife is most active around dusk and dawn and in less trafficked spots (exactly the kind of place you would be for astrophotography anyway). I enjoy wildlife viewing/photography as well so this is quite the bonus

Eventually my life's responsibilities will force me to image remotely and give up the above, but till then I plan to reap the benefits (of course at the cost of not producing as many/ as good quality images as I would if I just did automated imaging)
MarkAbbott 1.20
· 
I  will often observe while imaging from my Bortle 5/6 backyard.  My 8” Dob remains outside on a covered patio (with telegizmo cover) and if the weather isn’t too hot (I live in Palm Springs area) I’ll set up my Dob after starting my imaging run.  After a year of being 100% visual, AP is now my primary interest but there is something special about observing with a telescope and eyepiece.
Starman609 6.45
· 
·  1 like
When I first started astronomy, I was fascinated by the night sky and what I was able to see through my eyepieces. The first time I spied Saturn, Jupiter, the Hercules Cluster and the Ring Nebula though my CPC1100 was absolutely amazing and life changing. It was through those experiences that propelled me to venture into astrophotography. Now it's just primarily photography, but the sensations of capturing distant objects that the eye cannot see and processing those are still as robust as those first viewings.
Eteocles 2.71
· 
When I first got into astrophotography in 2011, I loved staying out under the stars in the backyard while taking images.  11 years later the skies have gotten so much worse that it is no longer enjoyable.  Nowadays I generally just set the automation software up and then go inside for the rest of the night.  Occasionally in the winter there are cool things like moon halos to see, and I will stay out for those.
Edited ...
Alan_Brunelle
· 
·  1 like
As others have alluded too, the automation that imaging now uses actually allows me to set up data collection and then sit on my chaise lounge and view naked eye completely relaxed.  After all, if I can set up data collection and then go to sleep, I certainly can set up data collection and do sky viewing!  Sometimes with binoculars.  Sometimes I set up my 5 inch mak-newt and do visual.  

I guess what I am saying is data collection and visual observing are not at all mutually conflicting.  But I have to admit that I often do just one or the other.  

As far as learning the sky, I started out as a visual observer when young, so developed a decent understanding of the sky "map".  But imaging has definitely improved the resolution of my mental map.  There is just so much more to know or see with a camera than visually.
Edited ...
Sean1980 3.15
· 
For me it is very situational
Imaging is done from my rooftop terrace under Bortle 8 skies where when looking in the night sky with the naked eye you can see some bright stars and the usual planets etc, however not much else. So late at night when walking the dog I do lookup and try to make out the constellations etc but don't spend a lot of time looking up.
If and when i get out to an actual darksite there is a lot more to see and ill spend more time outside. This however only happens once every few years as I dont travel too much. Have a nice trip planned to Maui next year which is a rare chance but will only be able to take some bino's to look through.

CS Sean
DalePenkala 15.85
· 
When I started this hobby 30+ years ago I was mainly into the visual part of astronomy then moved to the photography part of it for a while. That was back when we hypersensitized our film for our 35mm cameras LOL. Then got into measuring double stars and working with the the USNO to contribute data for there double star program back in the day. 
Now I still love to look at the night sky with binoculars as many have mentioned here. We can do that now with our imaging setups as they are mostly able to take care of themselves most of the night and allows me/us to have fun and enjoy the night sky if we feel like it. 
The visual part isn’t so much a priority now as much as it was many years ago, but I still like to go out with my friends on occasion and use there 20”-25” goto dobs to look at things you wouldn’t normally get to see. There is definitely pleasure for me at times with friends and big scopes.

Dale
CN_Astrophotography 4.01
· 
Situational, sometimes I'll plan a trip to a darker location (I live in bortle 7) for the purpose of bringing my imaging gear with me for some data acquisition, other times I plan to just relax and see the dark sky.  In a perfect world I can always have my imaging gear with me.

I will never get tired of looking up at a dark sky, and I am super excited for 2 weeks from now where I will be in the Boundary Waters of Minnesota, a bartle 1 area.  The sky will be moonless during the nights and always make for an amazing experience, a stock Canon camera and a couple lenses will be coming up with my Skyguider pro (space dependent, canoe only entry)
ScottBadger 7.61
· 
Enjoy the Boundary Waters! I’m hoping to get a weekend this fall in Maine’s Baxter State Park.

I’m super lucky at home too though. Bottle 3, no visible ground lighting, and mostly unobstructed. While imaging, I’m happy just looking up. The Milky Way alone is worth a sore neck. : )

Cheers,
Scott
si-cho
· 
In my case, amateur astronomy is the driven force, however, I must said that to accomplish my projects I do requiere the best possible conditions to get astrophotografy of the objects that are of my ineteres. In some how this was not among the choices of the poll so I did reply what I beleve was the closest.
Edited ...

Register or login to create to post a reply.